: Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC has screwed up my internet

JSA
2008-03-09, 01:02 PM
After installing Uniblue "SpeedUpMyPC" and going through the optimization process my download speeds are completely screwed up, but my upload speeds are perfectly fine.

I have Rogers Internet light which up until this install worked pretty much as advertised, 994 kb/s download & 248kb/s upload. Now I don't get faster than 400 kb/s downloads with speedtests but my upload is still 248 kb/s. Furthermore what is seriously confusing is that the download speed test from Speedtest.net reports everything is OK, yet Speakeasy.net & Rogers own speedtest are indicating much slower download speeds.

Simple internet navigation is now unbearably slow at 8kb/s. I have checked my connection speeds with my laptop (which does not have SpeedUpMyPC installed) and everything is OK. I have tried uninstalling the program with no benefit and have re-installed the program again with no fix to the problem. Both pc's are on a wireless connection. Can anyone help?? I don't want to have to do a complete OS (Win2K SP4) install again.

Thanks

stampeder
2008-03-09, 02:25 PM
Have you contacted Uniblue's Customer Support yet?

http://www.liutilities.com/about/contact/

Let us know what they say/said.

I_Want_My_HDTV
2008-03-09, 04:30 PM
I would uninstall the program, reboot and head over to dslreports.com. They have an online TCP/IP test and a couple of references to TCP/IP optimization programs. You must reboot after changing TCP/IP parameters for them to take effect. I would set the TCP/IP parameters back to defaults as a start.

stampeder
2008-03-09, 04:44 PM
He tried that already:I have tried uninstalling the program with no benefit and have re-installed the program again with no fix to the problem.As I say, let us know what Uniblue Customer Support says. They got your PC into a mess, they can help fix it.

JSA
2008-03-09, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the link Stampeder. I've filled out a trouble ticket, but probably won't here from them until atleast tommorow since the help desk is closed on weekends. The automated attendant aslo suggested I try installing a new version xx.xx.xxxx which funny enough isn't even available for download on their downloads page?!?! Weird. I'll post back when I get a response. Does anyone think that doing a repair from the Win@K Pro install disk might help?

i hate tv
2008-03-09, 07:57 PM
Try a system restore to a point prior to installing the software

JSA
2008-03-09, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately Win2K Pro does not have restore points like XP. :(

I_Want_My_HDTV
2008-03-10, 02:15 PM
He tried that already...
I don't think so. Read my entire post.

I recommend uninstalling it permanently. Google how to uninstall it manually if necessary, since some uninstall programs leave pieces behind. Then find out what is wrong with the internet. Checking the TCP/IP parameters is a start. They can adversely affect certain types of transfers if they are incorrect. Next, I would look at the browser settings. Googling for posts describing similar problems is also a very good idea. It will likely reveal similar experiences and possible solutions.

I would never install a program like this, especially on Windows 2000, XP or Vista. They are just as likely to trash the system as provide any benefit. Even worse, some are nothing but spyware.

JSA
2008-03-10, 09:14 PM
Actually, I've done the majority of what I Want My HDTV has suggested already. I've already done the following:

1. Uninstall the software and done complete reboot
2. Upon reboot I prompted Win2K to perform a Check Disk
3. Scanned for Viruses (McAfee Pro with latest engine & dat files)
4. Scanned for Spyware/Malware/Trojans etc. with SpyWare Blaster (newest release)
5. Searched th internet up and down and only found one posting in regards to this problem... unfortunately mine
6. Checked all the settings for my wireless antenna
7. Gone through all the TCP/IP settings in network settings
8. I've done a ipconfig/release & renew through the command promt
9. Rebooted both the Cable Modem & Router
10. Called Rogers to find out if there were any other complaints with internet users in my area.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As of this moment Uniblue has yet to respond to my problem.

I_Want_My_HDTV
2008-03-12, 04:27 PM
There are some low level TCP/IP settings that are not configurable through Windows. That's why I suggest DSLReports.com/tools. DSLReports.com/tweaks can check the low level TCP/IP settings and make suggestions. They have links to a couple of utilities that might help. They also have a forum that specializes in ISP and TCP/IP issues.

JSA
2008-03-28, 01:58 PM
After going back and forth with tech support at Uniblue, my internet is finally fixed. I needed to re-install the software and go through a series of settings and re-boots to finally get my internet speed back up to snuff. What I find interesting is that uninstalling the software did not correct the problem, and according to the tech support at Uniblue, a system reboot is required after an "optimization" is done even though this little tidbit is not mentioned in the operating instructions nor did it seem to help me when i rebooted the system a number of times on my own. Now I have this software installed on my PC and am terrified of the possible results should I uninstall it. For those of you considering this product STAY AWAY!!!

P.S Thanks to all those on this site who tried to help out, much appreciated.