: UK to put aspiring citizens on probation

Bullseye
2008-02-21, 08:21 AM
Interesting

"Aspiring British citizens will be put on probation for at least one year to show they can speak English, pay their taxes, abide by the law and have integrated into local life, the government proposed on Wednesday.

The move is the latest to try to control immigration and ease public fears that schools, hospitals and transport networks are being swamped by foreign nationals, especially since European Union enlargement"

Source: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2008-02-20T200521Z_01_L20924652_RTRUKOC_0_UK-BRITAIN-IMMIGRATION.xml

I say interesting because there was some talk on CH yesterday, about some PRs ( permanent residents ), not happy that they have to swear allegiance to the queen.

One guest said he doesn't understand how some people that decide to emigrate here to Canada, come with lists of what they want and don't want from the host country.

Leaf Fan
2008-02-21, 08:39 AM
Can this be a bad thing?
If it is too much to ask, then the person is more than welcome to move to a different country. I'm sure this will get some attention now, especially with the Multiple Wive Welfare scam that some new Canadians are taking part in.
I'm all for immigration (without it, I wouldn't be here:D) but also think that tighter restrictions should be placed on those becoming new Canadians.

eljay
2008-02-21, 08:53 AM
It doesn't seem like a bad idea as long as:
- oaths other than to country and rule of law are excluded;
- candidates are in no way hindered in their attempts to achieve integration; and
- integration can be measured objectively and without prejudice.

eternalsleeper
2008-02-21, 12:12 PM
I would never pledge an allegiance to a spoiled woman who inherited millions of dollars and lives a fairy tale life.

It's too late for Englandistan to do anymore immigration reform, they have already handed out citizenship in cereal boxes and soon it will be the original Britts who will be forced to show their Shahada to Mohammad.

I am glad that England is closer (or easier) then Canada for them to reach, I couldn't bare thinking of Canada turning into a state like England.

Bullseye
2008-02-21, 12:18 PM
I would never pledge an allegiance to a spoiled woman who inherited millions of dollars and lives a fairy tale life.

It's too late for Englandistan to do anymore immigration reform, they have already handed out citizenship in cereal boxes and soon it will be the original Britts who will be forced to show their Shahada to Mohammad.

I am glad that England is closer (or easier) then Canada for them to reach, I couldn't bare thinking of Canada turning into a state like England.

When you say "them", you mean? Please elaborate on that. Last time I checked, immigrants came from everywhere, and the article did say "immigrants", which means they couldn't care less where you were coming from, as it will apply to everyone.

England doesn't just handout citizenship.....just ask the owner of HARRODS, who has been in the UK for over 2 decades, and is still being refused. If he had gone to the US or Canada or anywhere else, he would have got citizenship easily.

eternalsleeper
2008-02-21, 12:21 PM
The Islamic fanatics like the ones who have signs that "Europe is the cancer, Islam is the answer......." or the ones over there who call the 9/11 terrorists, "magnificent 19....."

Or the ones who drive into airports, blow up buses, plant bombs on subways, etc....

They are not making this rule for all immigrants, they are making it specifically for Muslims coming from Islamic nations because of what is going on. They are not making this law for people who come from China or India.

Bullseye
2008-02-21, 12:26 PM
The Islamic fanatics like the ones who have signs that "Europe is the cancer, Islam is the answer......." or the ones over there who call the 9/11 terrorists, "magnificent 19....."

Or the ones who drive into airports, blow up buses, plant bombs on subways, etc....

They are not making this rule for all immigrants, they are making it specifically for Muslims coming from Islamic nations because of what is going on. They are not making this law for people who come from China or India.
Again.....the article didn't target one group of people.

hugh
2008-02-21, 12:27 PM
We enjoy civil, respectful arguments on the site where folks are free to express their "rational" opinions but calling England "englandistan" and equating immigrants to bombers is rascist , bigoted and hateful.

Closing.