: Netflix Opts for Blu-Ray High-Def DVDs

Pages : 1 [2]

Luis_A51
2008-02-11, 04:21 PM
The war has been very good for consumers. If you wish to disagree than make a case.

Analyst, for the most part, are uninformed twits.
Im sure a lot of the people being left with truly obsolete hardware would disagree with you. Especially those who bought something besides those $100-150 A2/A3s

THe sooner this war ends, the sooner uniformed consumers stop wasting their money/time on HDDVD movies and hardware. Its an inevitability at this point that HDDVD will disapear.

Best Buy has already announced they want a SINGLE HD format and that they feel BLURAY is that format.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+Releases/Best+Buy+to+Recommend+Blu-ray+as+the+Customers+Digital+Format+Choice/3345206.html

Its being reported on Reuters as well

Boduho
2008-02-11, 04:26 PM
That's all well and good Boduho, but it would seem that it's being left to the buying public to decide and they haven't quite eliminated HD DVD yet

I would whole heartedly disagree with that statement on two fronts. First off, it's not being left up to the buying public as studios and now multiple developers and retailers have decided to discontinue support for HDDVD. The choice is in fact being made at that level and will continue to do so. Secondly, the buying public has for the most part, stopped buying players and software. I believe it was you who stated at the time of WB's move that current owners would continue to buy software and that sales from current studios wouldn't drop. They have of course plummeted. In addition, hardwares sales have now shifted considerably in BD favour as consumers have decided to purchase BD equipment rather than HD-DVD. Sales of both hardware, and software would suggest that buying public has chosen BD.

The war has been very good for consumers. If you wish to disagree than make a case.

James, the case as been made ad nauseum and doesn't need to be made again. If you feel like you're still right, when the studios, retailers, developers and most consumers tell you're wrong, than feel free to continue your support of the war. My position hasn't changed in the last year or so of posting on the topic and the eventual outcome, and I'm quite comfortable saying my perspective on the outcome has been more accurate than most of the HD-DVD supporters.

bgclarke
2008-02-11, 04:33 PM
If left to the public to decide, personal choice or manufacturer preference could cloud things.

For example i'd personally go with HD DVD, not because I'm a Toshiba fan but simply because Sony isn't involved with it.

I am a fan of Panasonic gear and was really PO'd when Panasonic went with BluRay.

On the other hand, I have no intention of getting any of these players until a format is chosen.

Boduho
2008-02-11, 04:33 PM
I just read the link that Luis posted quoting the president of Best Buy. I guess he must be an uniformed twit as well.

Dunn continued, "Best Buy has always believed that the customer will benefit from a widely-accepted single format that would offer advantages such as product compatibility and expanded content choices. Because we believe that Blu-ray is fast emerging as that single format, we have decided to focus on Blu-ray products.

Luis_A51
2008-02-11, 04:39 PM
If left to the public to decide, personal choice or manufacturer preference could cloud things.

For example i'd personally go with HD DVD, not because I'm a Toshiba fan but simply because Sony isn't involved with it.

I am a fan of Panasonic gear and was really PO'd when Panasonic went with BluRay.

On the other hand, I have no intention of getting any of these players until a format is chosen.
Panasonic IS bluray. Its the media that keep saying bluray is a Sony format (most likely so they can use "betamax" comparisons)

IIRC Panasonic had far more to do with the development of bluray than Sony. They've been with bluray since the start.

bgclarke
2008-02-11, 04:46 PM
Well, that just blew a big hole in my anti BluRay stance :p :rolleyes:

U
2008-02-11, 08:14 PM

It's hard to disagree with you on this James. The war was a good thing but now it's time to let go, it serves no purpose anymore.

Are they "uninformed twits" only when they disagree with you? ;)

99semaj
2008-02-11, 08:44 PM
It's hard to disagree with you on this James. The war was a good thing but now it's time to let go, it serves no purpose anymore.

Are they "uninformed twits" only when they disagree with you? ;)
Well, I think it's fair to say that it serves a negative purpose.

Of course, that's just my opinion. And yours. And the industry executives over at WB. And the industry executives over at Best Buy. And Woolworths. And Netflix. Did I mention Blockbuster?

hc666
2008-02-11, 09:06 PM
I agree U. Was good, now it's tiring and embarrassing.

I don't think the blu camp sees HD DVD as a threat at all now. I don't think we will see anymore perks except more players and movie saturating the market for lower prices.

The head to head stuff appears to be done.

Icemann
2008-02-11, 09:51 PM
I agree the head to head stuff is not on their radar anymore. What they need to do now is convince people that there is one HDM format and why they should pay more for the players and discs over DVD's and make the conversion. That is going to be a lot harder IMO.

DocCasualty
2008-02-12, 12:23 AM
Having been a Netflix subscriber for sometime now, I was disappointed in their decision to drop HD DVD. I read about it on the net this morning and did receive an email to this effect later on as well. I did send an email expressing my dismay, to which they responded in part:

"Please know that we have very carefully considered our transition and feel that it will ultimately benefit our customers that wish to view titles in high definition format because we will be able to focus on a single format. We can now allocate inventory to one format, rather than two, which will provide our customers with a wider array of titles and availability.
Please know that we remained agnostic for as long as we could. We have carefully monitored the trends and feel that we have made the best decision for our customers. "

I really don't have that much invested in HD DVD, owning both an XBox360 HD DVD add-on, a $98 A2 and a few discs, so I don't really feel I have lost anything. The A2 is a wonderful upconverter and the add-on is a better DVD player than the XBox 360 drive itself. However, well done HD DVD transfers are a pleasure to watch and I'll miss having them show up on my Netflix queue. I live in a rural area with limited video store options, so I think my HD disc viewing will become quite limited. I still don't know what the future holds for HD DVD but agree it looks bleak.

Unfortunately, I don't see myself buying a BD player anytime soon, unless the prices drop to what I would consider a reasonable level; <$200 made the add-on attractive enough to purchase. Makes me wonder though if the loss of the competing format will do anything to hasten the price drop of the BD players, or if in fact the opposite will be true. I guess only time will tell.

blakew
2008-02-14, 05:55 PM
Is sent a letter to zip.ca, and this is what they had to say.

Currently at this time we are continued to provided HD DVD's in our service and there have been no talks to remove them.

HiDefBob
2008-02-15, 05:40 PM
Netflix announced to its customers that they will no longer be ordering or replacing discs on the HD DVD format, subsequently making Blu-ray the only supported HD format at the rental service.