: Wallmount Bolt size on panasonic TH42PZ77?

playme
2008-02-04, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I've bought a Monoprice wallmount TV and I don't think I have the right bolt size to attach my plasma Panasonic TH42PZ77. I am Canadian and I have heard that it takes M8 20mm bolt size but I am not sure. Please confirm if you did wallmount this tv.

voxkeys
2008-02-04, 06:16 PM
Well, there are at least two others of us on the forum who have bought Panny's as well as MonoPrice brackets. The brackets - we both bought fixed models - include a package of hardware; the bolts supplied that fasten the vertical rails of the stand to the back of the set are m8 x 40 mm (I think). I suspect that Panasonic would make those holes into the back of the set the same size across most of their plasma models.

We both have the 50" 700 series. I'm just preparing to mount my set and I already knew that the supplied bolts with the MonoPrice mount were going to be too short so I went to Home Depot and picked up the longest I could find: M8 x 70mm (I believe). Now, as I haven't put the rails on the TV yet I can't be sure if these bolts are long enough or too long! (I also bought 600 mm bolts, just in case.)

As my friend, the other person I refer to, had mounted his set first he let me know that I would need the longer bolts in order to allow for the sub-woofer bulge at the bottom of the set. (Not sure if that applies to the 42" 75 series or not.)

At any rate, there are quite a few bins of these bolts at Home Depot stores. There is a metric bolt section in among all the other types of bolts, screws etc.

Another person on this forum - you'll have to a search - decided with his mount to get better spacers so used #608 wheelbearings from inline skates/skateboards. (Personally, I think the supplied spacers seem okay - the load isn't going to be dynamic.)

Dog Byte
2008-02-04, 06:58 PM
And just so you know, on a metal on metal screw thread the depth should be equal to the diameter (e.g. a 3/8" bolt should have a contact depth of 3/8"). More is ok but there's no additional strength.

mellaby
2008-02-04, 07:17 PM
Try all the bolts in the bag that came with your mount. Some of mine did not screwin easily. There was three different lengths. Unless your doing something creative like voxkeys you should not have any problems mounting your tv.

voxkeys
2008-02-04, 07:28 PM
Try all the bolts in the bag that came with your mount. Some of mine did not screwin easily. There was three different lengths. Unless your doing something creative like voxkeys you should not have any problems mounting your tv.

Um... not taking any issue with your mention of 'creative' but there is no other way to afix the vertical brackets onto the Panny 700 without getting longer bolts - you have to account for the bulge at the back of the set at the bottom to make sure it clears the wall!

Only one of the types of bolts in the bag will even screw into the back of the plasma and they're definitely too short (in the case of my model).

mellaby
2008-02-04, 07:47 PM
My model was a 42 inch from last year. I just mounted the bracket thru half inch drywall to the studs and used the supplied m8 bolts to attach the tv to the bracket. Maybe I misinterpreted playme's post. I didn't think it was a length issue.

voxkey-I reread your post, your friend appears to be the creative one.

playme
2008-02-05, 06:50 AM
I have checked and I do have the M8 70 mm with the wallmount rack. I hope it is long enough. It should be I guess.

voxkeys
2008-02-05, 07:33 PM
I finally got my 700 mounted to-day and I had over-estimated the length needed. The 70 mm M8 were too long and I ended up using M8 60 mm.

I think you want to have as much of the bolt shaft as you can either encased in the provided spacer or threaded into the back of the Panny - in this way avoiding any torque on the bolt.

djpositivek
2008-02-06, 08:01 AM
I just mounted my Panny TH-50PH10UKA and used the AVF tilt mount from Costco. The longest bolts provided were M8 x 25 which only went in maybe a quarter inch. There was an concave hole where the screws go, and I used the pastic spacer that came with the mount in that space. While it seems to be holding fine, I think for peace of mind I will go out and purchase some longer ones 50 or 60 mm I guess. Did you guys use washers ? What is the point of the washers and should I use them ?

voxkeys
2008-02-06, 10:37 AM
I just mounted my Panny TH-50PH10UKA and used the AVF tilt mount from Costco. The longest bolts provided were M8 x 25 which only went in maybe a quarter inch. There was an concave hole where the screws go, and I used the pastic spacer that came with the mount in that space. While it seems to be holding fine, I think for peace of mind I will go out and purchase some longer ones 50 or 60 mm I guess. Did you guys use washers ? What is the point of the washers and should I use them ?
I used the washers - my sense is that they help distibute the stress that occurs. And, I certainly would go and get longer bolts - you'll find at least 50 mm, 60 mm and 70 mm at Home Depot. A quarter of an inch isn't a lot to count on for security of the set.

I think the threading inside the frame of the Panasonic is about an inch in depth

djpositivek
2008-02-06, 05:39 PM
Stupid Home depot... They didn't have anything like that. The guy told me to try a specialty shop. Wasted my lunch break. All they had were ones with hex heads on them I think.

voxkeys
2008-02-06, 08:04 PM
Stupid Home depot... They didn't have anything like that. The guy told me to try a specialty shop. Wasted my lunch break. All they had were ones with hex heads on them I think.
Yes, that's what I ended up getting - but the threading matches. Hex heads are easy to put in with nut driver.

I took one of the bolts supplied with the wall mount to Home Depot (after checking its fit with the Panny socket). Home Depot has a template that you can basically try any bolt - metric or SAE - for fit and, of course, identification.

djpositivek
2008-02-08, 03:46 PM
I ended up getting the M8 x 50mm Hex head and they were plenty long for my TV. Feel much safer than having the M8 x 25mm which were the longest ones that came with the mount I bought from Costco. I also used a flat washer and a lock washer as they were originall used on the screw and cap that I pulled off of the TV. That TV is nice and solid now. I also hid the cables behind the wall and it's looking pretty sweet. I just need to find a nice audio cabinet. I'm currently using a Z-line stand that I was using as my TV stand for my old CRT.