: KDL46v2500 poor SD picture?

Kapt Krunch
2008-02-03, 02:49 PM
I recently purchased a Sony Bravia 46" LCD1080p and after my first week with it i am disappointed with the SD picture. I have tried to follow the forums rules and search up issues and i have even called support for the cable company(Dishnetwork) and Sony as well as the store i purchased and nobody can seem to help improve the quality of the SD picture. It looks very grainy and pixelated. I have tried to adjust the settings multiple ways to no avail. I feel like i'm missing something or perhaps as the big box store CS states, "it's just that it is magnifying a poor signal". Why then does my 36" non HD look so much better? If the only time this TV beats my old tubes picture is on HD specific channels then perhaps i should just return it. seems to be a waste of $$$. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm as witts end and about to return the TV and just go back to my old tube 36". I'd even pay for someone to come out and correctly set it up if need be, but God knows where to find one of those people where i live.

2008-02-03, 02:56 PM
Your new HDTV is 60% larger than your previous TV. It is also much more accurate at showing you the faults with an SD signal. Have you seen the following thread?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18580

Check out the link for doing a proper setup - you can't simply "fiddle" with the settings, the calibration needs to be done in the proper order and with knowledge of what the particular settings do.

Dishnetwork is not a Cable company to my knowledge and their SD PQ may be poor on some channels. What is your location?

Kapt Krunch
2008-02-03, 03:12 PM
Thanks yes i did read and know about the TV being bigger etc. and being able to show the faults, but it surprises me that my 36" tube has considerable better picture quality than the 46"LCD in SD channels. Yes the HD channels look brilliant, but unfortunately they are few and far between. I've tried to obtain the DVD to calibrate my tv, but can't find it anywhere locally in any store. I will have to order it online and perhaps it will help?

I did not realize there was a specific sequence in which you needed to follow to calibrate the TV. Dishnetwork is a Satellite provider in my area. Otherwise the cable TV company is Blue Ridge Cable, but we are not signed up with them. It is analogue to my knowledge and is there a way to increase that signal? I am using an HDMI cable from the box to the TV directly. Perhaps i will try to run the signal through my blue ray dvd player? I will continue to try to follow your lead. Thank God for this website. Otherwise this TV would be on its way back to the store. I just hope i can work it out.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated!

2008-02-03, 03:27 PM
You can't go "through" the Blu-ray player - it has no inputs. Your connection directly to the TV is appropriate.

Good luck with your calibration.

Kapt Krunch
2008-02-03, 04:07 PM
Well i just ordered the Avia calibration dvd. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks again!

2008-02-03, 04:31 PM
Tips, as discussed here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

Turn off most/all edge enhancements (advanced menu).
Use "custom" picture mode if available
Reduce Sharpness

I believe the custom mode is stored separately for all inputs, so when you're finished calibrating one input, you'll need to transfer those settings to all other inputs you use, and perhaps tweak them by eye.