scrambling system in Canadian Direct To Home satellite programming. The
devices are also used in the decoding of encrypted signals that emanate from
American broadcasters.
Charges under Section 10(1)(b) of the Radiocommunication Act and Sections
327(1), 334 (b)(ii) and 355(b)(ii) of the Criminal Code Of Canada pertaining
to the illegal manufacture and sale of satellite devices, theft of
telecommunication and possession of the proceeds of crime have been laid
against :

EZ Technologies Inc., Racine Road, Etobicoke.
Mr. Sarkar AZMI, 46 of Toronto
Mr. Khalid ELADAOUI, 35 of Toronto

"The theft of satellite subscription programming signals impacts directly
upon the economy of the industry, resulting in lost jobs, higher fees for
legitimate paying customers and loss of royalties to the artists," stated
Insp. Goulet, Officer in Charge, Greater Toronto Area Federal Enforcement
Section.

james99
2003-09-15, 01:27 PM
TORONTO, Sept. 15 /CNW/ - The Greater Toronto Area Federal Enforcement
Section of The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, with the cooperation of Bell
ExpressVu,

I'm so surprised :roll:

Mike F
2003-09-15, 02:23 PM
Your tax dollars at work!

Good thing they caught them... we have to stop the reign of terror caused by Free TV. :wink:

hugh
2003-09-15, 03:27 PM
What I don't understand is what would possess the RCMP to put out a press release saying they busted a couple pirates in Rexdale?

I mean can't the RCMP find some bad guys that are doing some serious harm? Don't we have some unsolved armed robberies, murders, rapes that might require looking into?

james99
2003-09-15, 03:36 PM
But we all know who really wrote that press release don't we :lol:

2003-09-15, 04:13 PM
...can't the RCMP find some bad guys that are doing some serious harm?
This is what speeders and other minor lawbreakers always say. It is incumbent on the law enforcers to uphold all laws so that the country doesn't descend into anarchy. Yes they should spend the majority of resources on the major crimes, which they do, but they cannot leave all minor crimes unpoliced.

Just like the holiday weekend blitzes done by the police, these occasional blitzes, are an attempt to keep most of the public "in line".

buritto
2003-09-15, 04:16 PM
It reads:

"executed several search warrants that resulted in the seizure of
numerous computers and devices specifically designed to defeat or bypass the
scrambling system in Canadian Direct To Home satellite programming"

So they went after Bev hackers?

If so they knew not to screw with Canadian signals.

james99
2003-09-15, 04:19 PM
But the RCMP doesn't came out with a press release every time somebody gets busted for speeding.

2003-09-15, 04:24 PM
You obviously haven't seen enough of Cam Wooley (RCMP) on Holiday Weekend TV newscasts. Christ, I've seen him so much that I know his name.

Mike F
2003-09-15, 04:27 PM
...can't the RCMP find some bad guys that are doing some serious harm?
This is what speeders and other minor lawbreakers always say. It is incumbent on the law enforcers to uphold all laws so that the country doesn't descend into anarchy. Yes they should spend the majority of resources on the major crimes, which they do, but they cannot leave all minor crimes unpoliced.

Just like the holiday weekend blitzes done by the police, these occasional blitzes, are an attempt to keep most of the public "in line".

Speeders kill people... last time I checked, the deaths by free TV are pretty low.

I'm all for catching the bad guys... but come on. If somebody breaks into your house and steals your stuff, how much effort do the cops put into finding your stuff? Not much... and that is understandable, cause they are busy dealing with more serious crime.

No matter how you slice it... there are better ways to spend our tax dollars than using the RCMP to stop people from getting free TV.

What I don't understand is if BEV wants to fight pirates, why don't they just sue for damages like the recording industry is doing in the US? My guess is that BEV doesn't want to foot the bill, when the tax payers can.

Wow... that almost sounds bitter :wink:

2003-09-15, 05:10 PM
Actually it's been proven many times that speed doesn't kill. Bad driving does, or inept driving, or distractions, or driving too fast for conditions, etc. Not many people die going 125kph on a nice straight stretch of road on a nice day.

Everyone has an ax to grind... people who want either free satellite (as was the case in this article - which very few people argue for) or people who want unfettered access to everything... continue to sharpen those axes.

I better stop now, I'm beginning to sound like a banned member from NB and I don't even care about this issue other than in the broadest sense.

I_Want_My_HDTV
2003-09-15, 06:04 PM
Actually it's been proven many times that speed doesn't kill.
Falling from heights does not kill either. In both cases it is the sudden stop when you hit another large object. :wink:

2003-09-15, 06:20 PM
You obviously haven't seen enough of Cam Wooley (RCMP) on Holiday Weekend TV newscasts. Christ, I've seen him so much that I know his name.

Wooley is OPP.

2003-09-15, 06:40 PM
Speeders kill people... last time I checked, the deaths by free TV are pretty low.

I'm all for catching the bad guys... but come on. If somebody breaks into your house and steals your stuff, how much effort do the cops put into finding your stuff? Not much... and that is understandable, cause they are busy dealing with more serious crime.

No matter how you slice it... there are better ways to spend our tax dollars than using the RCMP to stop people from getting free TV.
:

First off ,it is stealing TV we are talking of, free TV has little impact on the domestic industry.
Second off, The RCMP onlt deal with federal crimes (as satellite TV theft falls under their jurisdiction), and except for the provinces where they are the primary police force,
the fact that the RCMP is going afte TV theives, as little impact on the crimes and crime prevention that local police forces embark upon.

pumpkinhead
2003-09-15, 06:46 PM
57u:Do you ever wonder why the other satallite provider isn't atarget for pirates?

2003-09-15, 07:56 PM
57u:Do you ever wonder why the other satallite provider isn't atarget for pirates?
No, I always thought it was because people, if they steal, tend to steal the best, or from the largest if both are equally easy to steal

:oops: Sorry about saying Cam Wooley is RCMP instead of OPP, but the point's the same - he's a policeman, paid for by tax dollars.

(I guess I'm starting to show my age again. There was a time when the RCMP did patrol Ontario highways wasn't there? - They still do in Alberta...)

I_Want_My_HDTV
2003-09-15, 08:41 PM
I am not sure when the OPP was formed but is is way before my recall and that goes back some time. I guess Albertans should either create their own police force or stop whining about the feds. :wink:

2003-09-15, 08:53 PM
It wasn't when the OPP was formed, it was when they took over some RCMP responsibilities - did a search on the web and came up empty except for some reference to 1972, perhaps 1984...

2003-09-16, 12:59 PM
It wasn't when the OPP was formed, it was when they took over some RCMP responsibilities - did a search on the web and came up empty except for some reference to 1972, perhaps 1984...

OPP were around way earlier than '84.

2003-09-16, 01:02 PM
57u:Do you ever wonder why the other satallite provider isn't atarget for pirates? If you are not being rhetorical, it's because they are more secure (have no card and such), and don't have a major deployment of a compatible
system elsewhere, ulinke Bell does.