: Mounting speakers on drywall...

REFLEX
2008-01-31, 05:27 AM
I have a few new speakers, around 20 pounds each, they can be mounted on the wall, where I live this is easily the best solution (over stands) for these.

But I have a problem, the room is layed out so that the studs do not match up for a good (let alone decent) set up of a proper 5.1 or 7.1 system. So I cannot install the mounds into studs.

I have mounted them into the thick drywall, they feel very sturdy but I'd like to reinforce with something, I have heard that toggle bolts or screws work very well and can secure well over 50 pounds on dry wall of decent quality.

Does anyone have any advice?

BC-HD
2008-01-31, 06:06 AM
I have side surrounds around 30 lbs and I cut a hole in the drywall behind the speaker large enough to slide a wood strapping in place..reinstalled the speaker which covered all the damages. One thing to keep in mind if you break the vapour barrier to reseal it.

Ren
2008-01-31, 06:18 AM
Those toggle bolts are great! I always use them around my house b/c when it was remodelled they never took down the old plaster and lath, they just drywalled over top of it. Every single wall on my main floor is like 3" thick and toggle bolts are the only thing I've found that work properly. I've used them to mount "floating" shelves and an OTR microwave. 2-4 of those things in each and your speakers will not go anywhere.

REFLEX
2008-01-31, 06:19 AM
So you used a piece of wood as the anchor? I don't think I can cut a hole in the wall..... its hard to know which thing to do is best here. They feel sturdy as hell, but who knows...

Edit: I'll definitely have to check out a Toggle switch, are they easy to use properly?

Bent
2008-01-31, 07:42 AM
Not a toggle switch,
a togge bolt.

PHAND
2008-01-31, 08:52 AM
Yes, use toggle bolts. I use them all the time for mounting things for people. They generally work great.

2008-01-31, 10:21 AM
Just remember that when using toggle bolts you only get one chance with that bolt. Once it's in, then you lose the toggle end when you remove. Also, you need to have the device you're going to secure on the bolt unless you can hook it on afterward. Plan, plan, plan, then execute.

Bent
2008-01-31, 10:33 AM
Plan, plan, plan, then execute
and buy extra toggles...
at least 1 spare for sacrifice to the "drywall gods".

REFLEX
2008-01-31, 12:49 PM
Sure.. Its like an Omni mount for placing a wall speaker..... I'll have to go investigate this.

eljay
2008-01-31, 01:01 PM
You might also want to take a look at E-Z Ancor (http://www.easyanchors.com/Products.aspx) products. I've used Twist-N-Lock anchors to hang heavy items on the wall.

REFLEX
2008-01-31, 01:34 PM
I'm going to head off to the Home Depot now with these wall mounts in hand and some screws to get a good idea of what to get.

PHAND
2008-01-31, 09:09 PM
And if it's an exterior wall with vapour barrier and insulation in there, it can be difficult for the toggle to spread out. You may have to do a lot of wiggling. Like I said above, they 'generally' work. Usually my last resort.

CanuckBlue
2008-01-31, 10:21 PM
Twist N Locks are easily Your best friend. they are both easy to use and will hold like no tomorrow.

REFLEX
2008-02-01, 03:04 AM
I ended up getting some Toggle Bolts... they are super sturdy and hold like hell....