: LCD Screen Scratch Repair

studum
2008-01-21, 11:59 AM
My little brother called me last night. Apparently my dad somehow managed to put a gouge in the screen of his 32" Toshiba LCD TV (only a few months old).

I went to take a look at it, it's not too noticeable with a moving image. However when the picture slows down or there's a solid colour over the scratch it's very noticeable.

His LCD has the anti-reflective coating on it. Is there anything we can do or use to reduce the visual impact of the scratch? Is it possible to replace only the outmost plastic screen or does the whole panel have to be replaced? I'm assuming he will learn to live with it before this happens.

Thanks in advance for any input.

hugh
2008-01-23, 11:48 AM
I've heard of people using vaseline and other products to make the scratches less problematic. You may investigate buffing out the scratches using products designed for eliminating CD/DVD scratches.

Personally, I would call Toshiba and ask them if they could recommend anything.

studum
2008-01-23, 11:51 AM
Thanks Hugh, we've tried the vaseline thing but that was even more annoying. We also have an email into Toshiba requesting advice. We have yet to hear back.

I suppose we'll try out a cd scratch repair kit.

Thanks

farmerjoe
2008-01-23, 12:00 PM
there's a great video on Youtube about how to buff CD scratches out using a banana. the plus side if that this is completely organic so it may not do any lasting damage if it does not work!

hugh
2008-01-23, 12:04 PM
There may be other types of rubbing compound but I think you risk removing the anti-reflective coating and making a real mess.

I would really wait for a response from Toshiba because you don't want to screw up your screen even more!

spiff
2008-01-23, 04:54 PM
I'll share my story: Might help... might not.

My TV also shared the same fate. While moving houses, my girlfriend and bro thought it'd be a good plan to pack her snowboard in next to my LCD for the drive. Well the edges did a number on the plastic and I cried myself to sleep that night.

I ended up going out and getting the finest grit of sandpaper I could find (2000+ AutoFinish stuff) with the intention of buffing out the scratch. So with a little water and a lot of wax-on/off, I was able get the scratches down to nothing by continually re-applying water to the area! This did however take a good bit of the Anti-Glare layer off of the plastic.
So not being completely satisfied with the job: I then applied a little Brasso, to smooth out the remaining marks left by the sandpaper, let that stand for a minute or two and then polished the screen.

The result was not ideal but the scratches were gone: While the TV was on (and it wasn't sunny outside) you couldn't tell that there was anything wrong with the screen. While the TV was off and/or it was bright outside, you could see the difference in sheen.

Long story short I ended up returning the TV back to Costco the day before it's anniversary and exchanged it for a Samsung LNT4032H... they didn't even ask about the interesting mark on the LCD:)