: How Many HDMI Slots Would You Recommend?

cervelott
2008-01-20, 01:28 PM
Looking at getting a new TV and have been looking at the Panny TH50PZ700 but realize the new PZ800's are soon to come out. The PZ700 has only 2 HDMI slots and looking for recommendations if this is enough. Not into gaming but will want to get a Blue Ray player and my digital PVR hooked up as well. Do I need an HDMI slot for my audio? Sorry for the newbie question...I find this technology a little confusing, even after having read much on the subject.
Thanks.

2008-01-20, 01:32 PM
You need as many inputs as you expect to use in the foreseeable future. Be aware that if you run out of inputs, you can purchase external switches, which may be less expensive, or a better option than a TV with more slots.

See the following post useful for newbies to the forum and read the links therein:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

And: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

Please put your location and service provider into your UserCP Profile. This helps us help you.

cervelott
2008-01-20, 04:43 PM
Thanks 57...will update right now and thanks for your response.

Dog Byte
2008-01-20, 05:02 PM
Component inputs for the video are just as good as HDMI for the PVR. Your future Blu-ray player may or may not support HD through component. Technically it can but copy protection issues may block it.

Your TV won't pass through the 5.1 sound from the HDMI to your receiver so you still need a digital audio hookup.

To get the latest high-def audio formats you need an HDMI receiver that supports the new formats. (You still get perfectly good audio through the digital audio link.)

D&G
2008-01-23, 06:11 PM
You should find a TV LCD/Plasma that has at least 3 HDMI inputs. 2 is not enough imo.

Stargazer
2008-01-23, 06:34 PM
I agree that preferably you find a TV with 3 HDMI inputs for the most flexibility. You'll hopefully upgrade your set less frequently than your other components so having the extra one might come in handy down the road. So you shouldn't only consider the components that you have right now. I also don't like having extra little switch boxes connected to everything because it means you also need extra cables all over the place.

That being said, a lot of sets will have at least one input on the side the set for easy access from the front. Mine is like that with 2 HDMI in the back, and one on the side. The only problem with using the one on the side is it's OK for temporary use, but as a permanent connection is that it doesn't look very nice having a wire sticking out like that. So that extra HDMI connection on the side is not as useful as the ones in the back.

Remember, too, if you ever get a new A/V receiver in the future, it will probably have HDMI inputs as well so that can work as your switcher, too, and you'll have plenty of HDMI inputs to use.