: Does splitting the cable degrade the signal to my HDTV?

foxadam
2008-01-18, 08:55 PM
Wondering if anyone can help me.

I pay Rogers for four outlets for cable. Two are used for tv (one regular digitial stbox, the other is their HDPVR stbox), one for my cable modem.

I have a newer house that is wired with lots of drops in the basement. None of them work so I'd like to split off one that does work (probably the one to the HDPVR) to have an outlet in the basement.

This outlet will go direct into the (older) TV - not through any digital cable box, stbox, etc.

Will this degrade the signal too much to my HDTV? I'm assuming a reasonably priced splitter and connections from Home Depot would do the trick?

Thanks!

i hate tv
2008-01-18, 08:58 PM
Seeing as you are already paying for extra outlets, I would just call Rogers, and have them do it
Unless they charge for it...

foxadam
2008-01-18, 09:35 PM
I just want to get it done and don't want to wait the 5+ business days to have someone out here for such a simple job.

hugh
2008-01-18, 09:40 PM
Every split inside your house reduces signal strength.

i hate tv
2008-01-18, 09:47 PM
Make sure when terminating the cables not to let any metal braids touch the center conducter, it will mess with your signal
A 2way will lose 3.5 dbs, and most 3 ways will lose 3.5 on one leg, and 7dbs on the other 2 legs
The 4 way will lose 7dbs
If you can't wait, then go for it, but personally, I would wait, and let them do it

foxadam
2008-01-18, 10:09 PM
Every split inside your house reduces signal strength.

Yes, I know this - sorry, should have been more specific. Will it reduce signal strength enough for me to notice a difference on my HDTV?

lawman
2008-01-18, 10:39 PM
I don't think so. It should work, why don't you try it out and see what you get?

Dutchca
2008-01-18, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure if you will see degradation in the picture or not.

For me, a less than optional signal strenth led to audio drop outs and me not being able to use the PVR as the signal would drop out and interrupt the recording.

I remember HD looking HD when the signal was coming through at enough strength, otherwise I had no reception or "blocks" of reception flashing on the screen. I guess the box either gets the signal and shows it on the TV, or it does not and you don't see it. I don't think low signal strength would make HD look like SD.

For me the bigger concerns I detailed above were the reason to have a cable co. rep come in and install a signal boost.

Just an FYI - my low signal strength was not due to splitting.

2008-01-19, 12:58 AM
With digital signals, you typically either get the channels, or you don't, with a marginal signal giving pixellation and audio dropouts. You can measure your signal strength and S/N ratio at the various TVs using a STB moved to that location. The acceptable settings (as well as other useful information) are discussed in the following thread. If you decide to purchase any splitters on your own, they should be rated 5-1000 MHz and bidirectional. Also, the broadband split needs to be the first split, using a two way splitter one tap to the modem. The other tap can then feed the other spitter you have for your TVs.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3327

Please also see the following post, useful for newbies to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741