: Silent Cinema and Night Listening Modes (split from other thread)

marsilians
2008-01-16, 11:36 AM
I have a Yamaha receiver. One thing to keep in mind is that when you connect headphones to the receiver, it automatically goes into "Night" mode (audio gets laid back quite a bit even if I use a separate amp with the headphones) and the sound effects are not that great.

hugh
2008-01-16, 11:42 AM
Aren't Silent Cinema and Night Listening two different things?

eljay
2008-01-16, 11:52 AM
According to Yamaha:[Select] “NIGHT:CINEMA” when watching films to reduce the dynamic range of film soundtracks and make dialog easier to hear at lower volumes.
. . .
SILENT CINEMA allows you to enjoy multi-channel music or movie sound, including Dolby Digital and DTS sources, through ordinary headphones.There's no indication that SILENT CINEMA "triggers" NIGHT mode.

marsilians
2008-01-16, 01:59 PM
The OP says "...most of my DVD watching will be with headphones".

No Silent Cinema does not trigger Night mode. What I was trying to say was that the moment you connect headphones to the receiver, it automatically goes into Night mode. I need to dig around to see if there is a way to workaround this.

2008-01-16, 02:07 PM
On my Yamaha, the speakers turn off when I insert headphones. Perhaps various AVRs have options on what happens when you insert headphones.

eljay
2008-01-16, 02:08 PM
marsilians, your initial comment was clear, which is why I pointed out that Yamaha fails to mention any correlation between SILENT CINEMA and the NIGHT mode. In fact, the owner's manual I looked at clearly specifies that:• You cannot use the night listening modes in the following cases:
–when the Pure Direct mode (see page 48) is selected.
–when the component connected to the MULTI CH INPUT jacks is selected as the input source (see page 38).
–when headphones are connected to the PHONES jack.

hugh
2008-01-16, 02:20 PM
This was way off topic from the original thread so I split it off rather than deleting in case anyone wanted to discuss.

Fred Flintstone
2008-01-16, 02:46 PM
Marsilians,

Does that mean you are not impressed with Silent Cinema? I have never actually heard it live (am planning on doing that), but I was under the impression it was just as good as Dolby Headphone with the added benefit that it supports DTS as well. Am I wrong?

FF.

marsilians
2008-01-16, 03:06 PM
I have not tried with a Dolby headphone. I own an AKG 501 as well as a pair of Grado 125s. THe 501 is driven by an amp and I am just not impressed by the sound quality. Similar experience with the Grado.