: Home Media Magazine: A Plea for a Unified, Blu Future

hoodlum
2008-01-15, 10:33 AM
It’s time to knock it off. Ever since the two rival next-generation formats launched in 2006, I have been calling for an end to the format war, but without specifically telling one side or the other to get out.

I’m doing so now...http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/buzz_article.cfm?article_id=11875

This is an interesting position for Home Media to take since they are the leading publication to the industry. Maybe they are just a springboard for what the industry wants (behind the scenes).

hugh
2008-01-15, 10:39 AM
We needed a unified format two years ago. In my mind, the battle is over so lets move on.

darrylr
2008-01-15, 10:42 AM
Toshiba is muddying the waters of course with their latest push which is giving some people exactly the opposite impression of what that article is asking for.

JohnnyG
2008-01-15, 11:17 AM
For better or for worse, it just isn't over yet. Paramount/Dreamworks went exclusive HD DVD several months ago, and now people are expecting them to change back. Warner went exclusive Blu-ray several weeks ago...what's to say they won't change back too? If Fox can be lured to the HD DVD side, perhaps Warner has an "escape clause" in their contract too?

"It ain't over 'til it's over." Not that this is necessarily a good thing, of course.

scrooloose
2008-01-15, 11:31 AM
My first reaction to the Warner decision was that of relief (and disappointment). However, after investigating the state of BR players, I'm ready to fight on with HD DVD.

-Mike

hugh
2008-01-15, 11:36 AM
I suspect the folks still using their 8 track, cassette, betamax, laserdisc, D-VHS players and taking pictures with their VHS camcorders and 35mm film cameras and playing it back on their 30" HD Tube televisions would say the same thing!

Frankly, two years ago, I thought HD DVD would win the format war but I have now officially waived the white flag!

Back to subject.

Sony has no interest now in a unified format so I think this guy at HomeMedia has been smoking something if he really thinks that Sony would even consider it. A unified format would not be available for a long time and would obsolete both BR and HD DVD!

rfielder
2008-01-15, 11:41 AM
My first reaction to the Warner decision was that of relief (and disappointment). However, after investigating the state of BR players, I'm ready to fight on with HD DVD.
I tought I was format neutral, until I realized that watching HD-DVD movies was smooth and enjoyable, while some BD movies are a pain to get working, and some jsut don't play smoothly.

As a consumer, I would have to go with what works well.

Gord Lacey
2008-01-15, 11:54 AM
Sony has no interest now in a unified format so I think this guy at HomeMedia has been smoking something if he really thinks that Sony would even consider it. A unified format would not be available for a long time and would obsolete both BR and HD DVD!

Hugh, you misread what TK said. He's not calling for a unified format, he's calling for everything on Blu-ray.

Universal and Paramount, in particular, need to jump on the Blu-ray Disc bandwagon so we can go into the new year with a unified front and a unified mission: To educate consumers about the advantages of high-definition media and convince them the time to transition from standard DVD to Blu-ray is the day they bring that HDTV into their home.

Gord

hc666
2008-01-15, 12:28 PM
I'm officially sick of the format war.

Toshiba just give up already. I see it as more of a going out of business sale for hd dvd.

scrooloose
2008-01-15, 12:47 PM
What else can Toshiba do?

Give up, reduce the price of their HD DVD player inventory and sell what they can
Fight on, reduce the price of their HD DVD player inventory and continue marketing the format
Market their HD DVD inventory as good up-converting DVD players for those not interested in HDM. Bring pricing inline with other similar DVD players.

The result is the same no matter what their intent is.

-Mike

hugh
2008-01-15, 01:01 PM
Hugh, you misread what TK said. He's not calling for a unified format, he's calling for everything on Blu-ray.

I'm losing my mind! I don't know how I misread that :eek:

It must be something I have been smoking! In my defence, I was up until 3am reading so I was a little off this morning!

U
2008-01-15, 01:18 PM
I tought I was format neutral, until I realized that watching HD-DVD movies was smooth and enjoyable, while some BD movies are a pain to get working, and some jsut don't play smoothly.

As a consumer, I would have to go with what works well.
I have watched about 100 Blu-Ray movies on my PS3 since November of 2006 and I honestly can say that I haven't run into a single issue (besides some bad encodes but that is not a format issue). In fact, if I compare to when I got into DVD the experience is much better. I can't comment on HD DVD really because I have only watched the three Bourne movies on my A2 and besides the fact that it's horribly slow it works just fine.

Out of curiosity, what BD player are you using?

jvillain
2008-01-15, 01:30 PM
I have watched about 100 Blu-Ray movies on my PS3 since November of 2006 and I honestly can say that I haven't run into a single issue

U is obviously able to make more time than I am to enjoy his hobby but I have watched ~20 so far and I haven't run into a single problem either.

U
2008-01-15, 01:43 PM
LOL! Compared to James I'm just an amateur... ;)

It's only about 2 movies a week for a year, I think that's reasonable... :)

oilblue
2008-01-15, 03:23 PM
Warner makes a decision that's in their business interests (apparently). The Blu crowd applaud it. Why does anyone expect Toshiba to do anything different? They'll take the path that's in their business interest. If that drags the format war out, so what? The longer the format war goes on, the lower the prices will be. Not sure what the problem is. Muddying the waters doesn't change the studio count.