: Jello Heads On Toshiba at BB

sailmaker
2008-01-12, 10:14 AM
Space limitations dictated that our bedroom TV include a VCR and DVD player all-in-one. Several years ago we purchased a Toshiba CRT set but the pix quality leaves much to be desired and it is time to move on and up. Again space limitations dictate or limit choices. I did not want LCD because of lag time on fast moving objects (sports especially) but I recently came across a new term "face wobble". The poster complained that fast pans of close ups resulted in the nose leading or lagging the rest of the face or distorting to the point that it was impossible to enjoy TV or DVD's. But Toshiba now has a 40-inch LCD with "<6ms" response time PLUS it has very narrow side frames and the set fits into a 37-inch space. WOW! This fits our needs bang on. I watched this set at the local BB yesterday and tried to compare the loop pix with a plasma across the way. My neck is still sore from swivelling (face wobble? :p) but the hockey players and hang gliders still seemed to go in and out of focus as the crystals slowly caught up with the changes. In my mind 6 or <6ms is still not fast enough. Am I being too critical? Yes I know, I am the one who has to be satisfied, not you folks, my fellow travellers. Has anyone else checked this set out for response time or for its positive features? As I stated in another post recently, watching fast moving objects on an LCD it was like "I shouldn't have had those last two beers". Anyone? sailmaker

my0gr81
2008-01-12, 11:08 AM
Well FS/BB showrooms are the worst place to make this assessment. A lot of what you saw is also dependent on the source signal (SD, HD) the provider (Shaw, Rogers BEV) and how much compression they applied to the signal to get it to the set top box. After that, there is the set up of the stb itself and how it handles each signal for output to either composite, s-video, component or HDMI/DVI. Without knowing all those details, and optimizing for what your set up will be when it gets to your home, there is no way to compare properly.

2008-01-12, 11:52 AM
See the following thread where we discussed Jello Heads and the proper settings on the TV helped a lot.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77748

sailmaker
2008-01-12, 04:18 PM
FS/BB showrooms are the worst place to make this assessmentI just did a search for Ontario and it looks like FS and BB are the only dealers selling this model. In fact Toshiba dealers seem to be few and far between anymore. Why do people make it so hard to give them money? ;) sailmaker

capp325
2008-01-14, 10:52 PM
If response time is a concern, you should look at Sharp LCDs, as they have some of the fastest response times in the industry (4ms). I've had my 46D64 for a couple of weeks and have yet to notice any ghosting of face wobble. I'm sure you can find some if you specifically look for it, but it's imperceptible under normal viewing conditions.

All in all, I have been very impressed with this set.

sailmaker
2008-01-19, 01:42 PM
Sorry to be so tardy getting back here. capp325's suggestion that Sharp is worth a look because of fast response times (4ms). I have been "brain washed" to believe that Sharp TV's are prone to banding and have been avoiding them in my considerations. As most of us know, manufacturers play with response times to suit their own needs. Black-to-black, grey-to-grey, black to white etc. Carol and I are closer to making a final decision regarding type, size, DVD/VCR combos etc. I just checked out the Philips DVD3545V37 package and just reading the downloaded pdf owner's manual is enough to make anyone's head spin. One of the big problems I see in this upgrade to digital is that you cannot record one channel while watching another, either on disc or tape. This is progress? Even with just a DVD and VCR player (tape record only) this simple task is beyond technology's grasp or am I missing something? sailmaker :confused: