: crt hdtv lifespan?

timmy1
2008-01-11, 12:46 PM
i've got a Toshiba 30hf83 hdtv and i'm just wondering how many years, on average, one can expect to get out of one of these sets? mine is about six years old now and for some reason i've lately been possessed with this feeling of impeding doom regarding the fate of my tv, even though i've never had any problems with it.

hugh
2008-01-11, 01:00 PM
CRT typically have a half-life of 30,000 which means the brightness decreases by 50% after 30,000 hours. In practical terms, it depends on many things such as the environment, usage patterns etc.

Many CRT's can last 10 to 20 years.

Danster
2008-01-11, 02:49 PM
My LG CRT HDTV Monitor had its convergence board die way before the lamps did. It took only 4 years to do so. Still waiting for the baord to be replaced.

If you look a certain abrs, they still have the 3 lamp projection style TV and they are still going on strong. Like Hugh mentionned, it will fade over time but how will you really know especially if you don't put another identical newer TV right beside it? I wouldn't worry at all.

hugh
2008-01-11, 03:34 PM
ahh Dan, he is talking about a DirectView CRT (tube television) not a rear projection.

2008-01-11, 03:49 PM
Typically one can compensate for the fading colours etc by doing a new calibration. I recently retuned a 14 year old RPTV (which was OK, but not great afterwards) and I did a 7 year old CRT HDTV this week, which came up looking like new. I've had CRTs for 20+ years, so they last, but do they look great after that period of time, probably not. When I bought my current CRT-RPTV in 2001, I sold a 20 year old RCA projection TV - colours a bit faded.... My current CRT-RPTV looks great and I get to compare it to all the new TVs that I set up every week....

TECHNOKID
2008-01-11, 06:31 PM
When the CRT tubes start to age and do not look as good anymore, special equipment can be hook-up to them to send voltage and rejuvenate them... this will usually give them a few extra years of life!

timmy1
2008-01-11, 06:44 PM
I recently did a recalibration using DVE and the set is still looking good. I just wasn't sure about the general parts longevity in CRT HDTVs... But from what you're all telling me there's a good chance it will hold out until those new concept 50" Kuro PDPs can be had for less than a couple thousand :)

sdcfan18
2008-01-12, 10:52 AM
My parents are still using a RCA RP CRT in their games room. That beast must be almost 15 years old by now. Never given that a problem at all...other than moving that monstrosity downstairs! The thing weighs a ton!

laszloted
2008-01-12, 01:39 PM
Have a 20 inch Sony that is 22 years old and still works fine in bedroom. My living room has a 51 inch Tosh RP HDTV that is 5years young.