: Pioneer PDP-4280HD vs. Panasonic TH42PZ77

boogabooga0215
2008-01-10, 12:29 AM
I'm looking to purchase one of these for watching movies and playing Xbox 360 elite. On the odd occasion I will use it as a PC monitor. Lighting is not a problem.

The problem lies in the fact that I can only sit a MAXIMUM of 100 inches away from the screen - i.e. I will generally be closer.

Do I go for 1080p Panasonic because I will be so close OR dish out a little bit more for the Pioneer because the colour reproduction is better?

Even after sifting all the threads, I don't know what my problem is a combination of "screen too small" or "too close or too far" or something else.

I am confused.

alpha7
2008-01-10, 03:25 AM
I think regardless of your viewing distance the contrast and reference colour reproduction from the Project Kuro should make it a no brainer - you won't be disappointed. Keep in mind most 360 games regardless of whether or not you have the Elite are native 720p, so you won't be gaining much in that arena. Those black bars at the top and bottom of your screen for movies won't be visible with the Pioneer, more of a deep grey with the Panasonic.

It's at your own discretion, but I've stared at both of these TV's considerably, resolution isn't everything...

firechkn
2008-01-10, 12:52 PM
I would choose the Panny at that distance. With a native resolution of 1920x1080 as a PC monitor you won't be disappointed. Your HD movies will also look great up close at 1080P. Sure the PIO has better blacks, but the Panny is pretty good to, not dark grey either.

I'm using my 42" Plasma as a PC monitor at 1280x768, looks fine but nothing compared to my 50" Plasma 1920x1080, which looks sick btw :)

bad_dave
2008-01-28, 09:22 PM
Check out this article which explains how much resolution you can actually visualize from certain distances.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hitech/1137/maxing-out-resolution.html

If you check out the THX web site it specifies a viewing distance of 0.84x the diagonal size of the display for 1080p.

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/display.html

So you can see that the usual recommendation of 2x the display size really depends on the resolution of the television.

So you consider the resolution to be somewhat of a mute point. Your choice now boils down to picture quality, price etc.

kev604
2008-01-29, 09:23 AM
I found the THX link useful, thanks for posting.

the hawk
2008-01-30, 01:46 AM
The latest Home Theater magazine had an HDTV face off where 50" versions of the sets your comparing faced off.

After all was said and done the Pioneer took first place even though it was the only 768p set in the faceoff.....at viewing distances of 8ft the judges couldn't tell the Pioneer was not 1080p.

Even so they commended the Panasonic as an excellent TV and stated both the Panny and Pioneer are solid investments and or close in performance with the edge going to the Pioneer thanks to it's superb contrast ratio and black levels. They did offer the Panny had slightly more detail than the Pioneer and that it could be a better choice if you sit close to it (like 6 feet away) thanks to it's 1080p resolution.

Me myself I'd get the Pioneer because IMO, nobody has mastered plasma TV's the way Pioneer has. I've seen the latest Kuro line and to my eyes they're hands down the best flat panel sets on the market.

DrewSat
2008-01-30, 07:14 PM
I grappled with the same decision and recently purchased the Pioneer 4280 because of two things:

picture quality in HD and SD
HDMI inputs.

The Pioneer was more expensive and I think I could have rationalized the savings over the benefits, but I'm glad I didn't.

Since seeing DLNA proliferate at CES, I'm kicking myself for not getting the Elite as I think this will be the next big technology to distribute video....

food for thought

p.s. resolution had no bearing on my decision due to viewing distances and the majority of my content being 1080i or 720p.