: Samsung Series 4 Plasma

hugh
2008-01-07, 12:21 PM
Samsung has introduced three series of plasma's at CES. Series 4, Series 5 and Series 7 (gee how original)

Both the Series 4 and Series 5 models come packaged in piano-black exterior, and feature first class components and advanced features typical of premium models. Built-in entertainment modes automatically optimize image and audio quality to the content being viewed—a must-have for the avid gamer, sports fan or movie buff. Further enhancing the Series’ viewing experience is the FilterBright™ anti-glare technology, which produces deeper blacks and an increased contrast ratio for overall superior picture.

A variety of multimedia devices can be easily connected and used through 3 HDMI inputs, one of which conveniently located on the side of the units. Extending that connectivity even further, Samsung has also included a USB2.0 port for the Series 5, making it simple to view content directly from digital devices such as cameras, MP3 players, and thumb drives. In addition, the enhanced HDMI-CEC TV remote enables consumers to easily control multiple devices connected via the HDMI port.

Series 4 Entertainment Plasma HDTV

The Series 4 utilizes technology and innovations previously available only in 3D-enabled DLP HDTVs to deliver the superb picture quality of a flat panel TV with enhanced 3D features. The Series 4 uses an advanced software algorithm to eliminate dither noise and false contour lines to reproduce clear images, including fast moving action scenes. The Series 4’s multimedia compatibility via 3 HDMI, and sophisticated picture and sound optimization tools makes it ideal for gamers and movie buffs alike.

The Series 4 Plasma HDTV will be available in April in both 42-inches and 50-inches model sizes (Model numbers PN42A450P and PN50A450P).

EvanRyanST
2008-06-21, 02:12 PM
Samsung 42A450 on sale...
Just looking for anyone's thoughts on this TV. Does anyone have one and
what do you think of it.
I will be watching DVD's, playing X BOX and regular SD cable, no HD yet

thanks

Paul

tqn
2008-06-27, 06:40 PM
I've had the 42A450 for a couple weeks now.

Generally speaking the PQ is very good. Colours are great. Black level is OK.

As for image sharpness, 1080p sources look great (Blu-ray and PS3 games). However, 720p sources look soft (PS3 games). For 720p sources, my 720p projector displays them with greater sharpness even though the screen size is bigger. DVDs look pretty good to me.

I'd say the TV's greatest strength is its colours, while its greatest weakness is that it exhibits some really awful false contouring (posterization) in dark grey scenes.

This set is still a pretty good deal for ~$1000. I plan on comparing it to an LG 42PG20 as I'm still within my return period.

war80
2008-08-01, 03:12 PM
did u compare the 2?

i have the samsung and was looking at the LG too.
could not decide which was a better tv.

as far as i can tell, they're pretty similar, except the LG supports 1080i output, whereas the samsung doesnt.

is this a big deal?

ozzman
2008-08-04, 02:22 PM
I have the 50a450 and i love it.
The colours are bright and the black is dark .I would recommend the 450 series to anybody.
If you purchase the 42 you'll see how good it looks right out of the box.For the price,Man you can't go wrong:)

tqn
2008-08-10, 03:28 AM
I didn't compare the two. I ended up with the PN50A650 instead :)

I will say that out of the box, the A450 colours are better than the 650's. Fortunately colours are correctable on these sets with some calibration.

jtpcomput
2008-11-11, 01:42 AM
I did a search on the forums for the above TV but found nothing. I was wondering if anyone has this TV and have any good/bad feedback for the TV. I would be using star choice DSR530 and PS3. Any feedback would be appreciate

hugh
2008-11-11, 07:56 AM
the PN42A410 is a 4 series with some different speakers and a few cosmetic changes. You can compare on the Samsung site.

abb123
2008-12-02, 04:51 AM
best TV for the price. Guy at future shop tried to sell me the 5 series, he said the bigger the screen the more resolution you need. lol, good thing I bought the 4 series, saved $ and I am very satisfied. Have you tried the 5 series?

rvp819
2008-12-02, 05:27 AM
I got the PN50A450 a few weeks ago and I'm amazed at its picture quality and I have yet to calibrate it - I brought the settings way down for the first month and I'm waiting for the DVE blu-ray to arrive to calibrate the display. Sitting 10 feet from the screen and feeding it HD cable at 1080i or 720p depending on the station (SA8300HD PVR) and blu-ray at 1080p (Panasonic DMP-BD35). The 3D / image depth impression of plasma is really amazing.

The plasma is in my living room and I have no more issue with light reflections on the display than I had with a CRT.

This TV replaces an 8yo Samsung Tantus 32" flat 4:3 CRT which had cost me $2000 and still has great picture and sound for its generation - it's now the basement / gaming TV.