: More HD On Demand - TMN, MPix, Concerts

SensualPoet
2008-01-05, 09:08 PM
I think Rogers may have hit a new milestone in the last few days: they appear to have started to add HD On Demand to the TMN and MPix services.

TMN On Demand (ch 308) and MPix On Demand (ch 309) each now have a folder "HD Spotlight" featuring no additional charge HD movies and shows. The selection, is, um, modest so far but it definitely enhances TMN -- and it isn't available elsewhere in Canada as far as I can tell.

Right now, TMN HD On Demand -- if I may dub it that -- has Night at the Museum available in a pretty decent hidef print.

Also showing is Epic Movie (whatever that is) and an episode of Stargate, season four.

Meanwhile, Dr. No is playing in the Bond series on MPix HD On Demand -- if I may dub that as well -- in a neat transfer as good as what we saw in November.

I like TMN Network but, since moving to HD, I find I am less and less interested in the SD channels and On Demand; I'd rather hold out for the HD films on TMN HD, MMore HD and MPix HD (which also land on my PVR from time to time). With an HD On Demand portion of TMN and MPix, life just got a little sweeter.

On a related note, I also see Rogers On Demand (ch 100) is offering the Hilary Duff Aug 2007 Dignity tour concert free in HD On Demand (it's buried in the All Movies / HDTV folder). Plus, after a shaky start earlier this year, they seem to have a decent selection of recent movies in HD for pay.

darrylr
2008-01-05, 09:18 PM
Yes I noticed this a couple of days ago as well. Too bad Epic Movie is the one they picked but at least it's a start. I had already seen the Stargate episode but it's nice to see it on there as well - hopefully more will follow.

I have all the Bond movies on my PVR in HD from MPIX. I'm going to keep them there until I really need the space. The version of them on MPIX HD look great!

Hopefully Rogers continues their moves in this direction. I'm hoping they also start adding more of the available HD channels to their lineup as well.

SensualPoet
2008-01-05, 09:31 PM
No quibbles about the MPix HD versions of the Bond films ... the ones I saw / sampled looked pretty good and I was pleased they didn't wimp out and went full 2.35:1 for several features.

But I also have some of the Bond films on SD DVD in the new hidef remasters (but, again, in SD) and upconverted they look pretty good. No, they are not HD -- but they look pretty good. Having access to some of these HD On Demand as part of my TMN subscription is sweet. I'm guessing they won't stop at Dr. No.

hugh
2008-01-11, 07:37 PM
they appear to have started to add HD On Demand to the TMN and MPix services.

Awesome news!