: LG plasma - sparkles

Pages : [1] 2

905shmick
2008-01-05, 03:29 PM
I notice green and red sparkles in the "black bars" area of the right and left sides of screen when an HD channel is showing 4:3 content as well as the top and bottom of the screen when watching 2.35:1 aspect ratio DVDs.

You can see these on the right side of the picture below. Is there anything that can be done so that these areas remain pure black? Is a tech support call to LG required?

This is a 3 week old LG 50PC5D.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2362/2168841649_ac3412574b_b.jpg

Thanks.

2008-01-05, 03:37 PM
Have you performed a proper setup of the display? Are you still in the "vivid/dynamic" picture mode? Have you turned off the automatic settings? See the post below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

Are you using HDMI for both devices? Try component video if you are, just as a test.

905shmick
2008-01-05, 03:56 PM
I've got my settings with contrast, brightness, color and sharpness set to 50 and temperature set to warm.

The HD content is coming in via antenna, so I don't have a choice of input, but the DVD is using HDMI. I'll try component, but seeing as it happens with OTA HD, I'm doubtfull that the switch to component will help, but I'll still try it.

Thanks.

2008-01-05, 04:05 PM
I doubt the switch to CV on the DVD will help either if you're on OTA and seeing the issue. Under the advanced user settings or whatever they're called in the LG user menu, check to see if there are any "auto settings" that are turned on, or turned to "high" (auto colour, edge enhancements, etc..)

Also, simply changing settings to 50 is not the correct approach to optimizing the various settings, see the link in my previous post. 50 may be too low for one of the settings while it may be too high for another.

One thing to try would be to reduce the brightness setting even further - temporarily, say to 25, or lower, to see if that gets rid of the sparkles.

dstb
2008-01-05, 04:07 PM
I would return that set before the 30 day mark.I know someone who has the same set and it is about a year old and they have the same problem,and it is getting worse over time.

905shmick
2008-01-05, 04:08 PM
After playing around with contrast, brightness, color and sharpness, I've found that I can make the sparkles go away by turning brightness down 2 notches to 48. This appears to work both with the OTA tuner input and the HDMI input for DVD. For DVD, I've found that there still some "sparkles" at the very top edge of the video and turning down the brightness to 46 cleared that up too.

Is this the correct way to clear this up or should I still look to involve LG with this?

2008-01-05, 04:10 PM
I guess you were typing/trying while I was typing post 4, which discussed doing just that, but please reread post 4 and the link in post 2, which discusses the proper way to set up a TV.

There is no need to involve LG.

waiwardj
2008-01-05, 10:41 PM
Hi, i'm new to the forum as well as new to the plasma maybe you can help..

I purchased an LG 50PC5D from Future Shop, had no noticeable problems for the first week or so. Now we are noticing green sparkles when the set has been on for a few hours. It is less noticeable on bright scenes, but in low-light images and especially on faces we get a definite green shimmer on the bright edges.

We are running a new Shaw digital cable terminal with HD and connecting with 5 m of component video cables. We connected with a combo Dvi / HDMI cable just to see if there were a difference and their was'nt.

I am past the thirty day exchange period with Futureshop, but have a 2 year warranty with LG, is it time to call the manufacturer? The problem only seems to happen when the thing warms up for a few hours, could it be a lack of airflow through the wallmount? Any help would be appreciated

905shmick
2008-01-06, 12:28 AM
Thanks 57.

I'll be sure to read the link.

2008-01-06, 01:17 AM
A proper setup of the TV should help. See the following post.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

Also, please read the following post useful for newbies to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

You may also be interested in the following other thread today about sparkles, which may, or may not be the same ones you have.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77706&highlight=sparkle%2A

It is possible that the circuitry reacts slightly differently once the TV warms up. If you can't resolve the issue with a proper setup, then call LG.

905shmick
2008-01-06, 01:46 AM
While it will be easy to pop in a calibration disc for the DVD input, is there a method to go about calibrating inputs such as the Antenna input and the Satellite STB where I don't have the ability to put my own images on the screen?

2008-01-06, 01:53 AM
You copy the settings over from the other input and go by eye. You also actually read the link I provided in post 2, like you said you were going to, and you'd find the following link there: ;)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64364

905shmick
2008-01-06, 02:43 AM
I did click on the link and read through it a couple of times. I guess I skipped over the "What about the other inputs on the TV and the other devices connected?" link.

Anyways, thanks for your help and patience. It's greatly appreciated.

Hopefully I'll have this display running in tip top shape by next weekend.

waiwardj
2008-01-06, 03:24 AM
I did a little digging through the forums and came up with a solution. My television was obviously in torch mode. I carried my 42" DLP downstairs and sat it side by side and realized the picture on the panel was set far too high.

I turned the contrast, picture, and color down from factory settings to where it matched the samsung, which I always thought was a perfect pic, just not wall-mountable. Over a few minutes and a few adjustments the picture balanced out and the color fluctuation dissapeared.

Thanks for the advice, I will search next time

Neild
2008-01-06, 04:30 PM
Might also try putting the LG into low power mode and starting your alignment from there.

edv
2008-01-21, 11:42 PM
Thanks Neil.
My wife's LG has been 'sparkling' like crazy. I would call it Toxic mode moreso than Torch mode!
The symptoms of the problem were simply a mass of r g & b sparkles in all of the darker areas of the screen (not just the SD side bars, but on dark hair, coats, shadows...anything dark)
I tried to reduce all settings (ie brightness all the way to zero...yielded a screen FULL of sparkles!)
But by setting the power mode to low, much of it has disappeared. There is still a lot of residual sparkling in this mode, but it is much fainter than when in higher power mode.

Bent
2008-01-22, 12:33 AM
Adjusting all parameters will reduce LG's "sparklies" problem, but none of my friends who've purchased LG Plasmas have been able to get rid of them.
this problem has existed with LG's plasma sets for three years now, they are aware of it and don't seem to want to deal with the problem.

905shmick
2008-01-23, 12:12 AM
Adjusting all parameters will reduce LG's "sparklies" problem, but none of my friends who've purchased LG Plasmas have been able to get rid of them.
this problem has existed with LG's plasma sets for three years now, they are aware of it and don't seem to want to deal with the problem.

Setting my brightness to 44 or 45 cleared things up. I also have all my other settings set in the mid 40's as well but it was the change to brightness that made the sparkles in the black areas go away. I wasn't experiencing sparkles elsewhere.

Kro
2008-02-14, 10:54 AM
I have a LG 42PX5d (since 1 year 1/2) and the Tv has the Sparklies problem and I'm pretty sure it's getting worst.

So last monday I call LG and ask if it was a problem. They did not answer but refer me to the local service shop.

I call them and they send a tech, he told me that it was not normal and he tried for 2 hours to fixe the problem without success. Finnaly he said that they will have to replace a Module and he left with my TV. I should have it back in 10 to 14 days.

Kro
2008-02-29, 04:52 PM
TV came Back today and no more red sparkel but plenty of Pink sparkle. So the tech to it back. I wonder it's like they did not even test it before sending it back.