: What! - Walter Gretzky, Steve Nash named to Order of Canada

Pages : [1] 2

hugh
2007-12-29, 01:26 PM
The man who first taught Wayne Gretzky how to play hockey is among 61 people who were named to the Order of Canada on Friday. (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007/12/28/order-of-canada.html)

I'm sorry but Walter Gretzky, the order of Canada??

james99
2007-12-29, 01:30 PM
Hamitons Clara Hughes also received a similiar medal. Front page of todays paper. Rather ammused at this when I read it.

Bent
2007-12-29, 01:39 PM
I want one too - and I'll my kids are all still in Canada.

jvincent
2007-12-29, 01:42 PM
I don't know the extent of Walter Gretzky's charitable work, but assuming it's significant, that's as good a reason as any to get the Order of Canada.

james99
2007-12-29, 01:43 PM
Oh, who exactly is Steve Nash anyway?

Bent
2007-12-29, 01:48 PM
I don't know the extent of Walter Gretzky's charitable work, but assuming it's significant, that's as good a reason as any to get the Order of Canada.

My response was meant to be tongye-in-cheek, but I agree, Walter was instrumental in not just Waynes hockey career, but he's been somewhat of a presence as a Canadian citizen as well.

QuickSilver
2007-12-29, 03:34 PM
Walter does charitable work all over North America. He is very prominent with CNIB and other charities.

Steve Nash is one of the most popular Canadian Athletes that goes very under recognized here in Canada. He won the MVP in the NBA 2 years in a row I believe. He also does tons of charity work and is basically leader in basketball for Canadians to look up to.

hugh
2007-12-29, 04:33 PM
I'm sure Walter has been doing celebrity work for the last few years for some charities but frankly, I'm certain I can name some folks that no one has ever heard of that have done a lot more charity work than Walter or Steve. Charity work that is actually on the ground sweating out the hours.

IMHO, It's disrespectful to the real givers who have spent a lifetime helping the country.

jvincent
2007-12-29, 05:02 PM
True, but the Order of Canada and awards like the Nobel Peace prize, to name another, are often given to "celebrities" instead of more deserving common folk.

QuickSilver
2007-12-29, 05:53 PM
Well said jvincent. I agree.

jayson
2007-12-29, 08:05 PM
The majority of the names in the attached (http://www.ccnmatthews.com/docs/gga1228.pdf) list, I don't recognize. I think this might be a case of the media reporting on the celeb's without giving full recognition to all those appointed.

Cheers,

jayson

cyclo
2007-12-29, 11:12 PM
Here is the quote from a link about this news from nba.com:

On Thursday, Nash was named one of the 2007 recipients of The Order of Canada – the country’s highest civilian honor. He was selected not just for his fame, but for his many humanitarian efforts through his Steve Nash Foundation and the Canadian school system.

IMHO, Nash has been generating goodwill for Canada not just in the USA but also to basketball fans around the world.

asif9t9
2007-12-30, 12:26 PM
If guys like Elton John are knighted in the UK, then what does it matter if our celebrities are named the Order of Canada? I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to sweat it.

mtlnorm
2007-12-30, 06:11 PM
Are we now going to see MDG ads with "Order of Canada award winning" Steve Nash?

The award has become a joke.

Ham.Clan
2007-12-30, 07:34 PM
The award has become a joke.

Are you serious?
Do you really feel this strongly about the Order of Canada recipient selection process?
I doubt the vast majority of people on this forum could name more than a handful of award winners.
But I'd bet a BAZILLION dollars that any that people could name would all be "celebrities" from sports or entertainment.
And as far as Walter Gretzky goes, I've seen first hand how tireless a volunteer this man is for youth sports, Heart & Stroke, Children's Wish, people with intellectual disabilities...the list goes on and on.
He did not receive it for being Wayne's dada, I can assure you.
He is fully deserving as I'm sure all this year's recipients are.

mtlnorm
2007-12-30, 07:45 PM
"And as far as Walter Gretzky goes, I've seen first hand how tireless a volunteer this man is for youth sports, Heart & Stroke, Children's Wish, people with intellectual disabilities...the list goes on and on"

As do many thousands and thousands of Canadians who don't make the radar of the selection committee.

Walter Gretzky got the award SOLELY on his celebrity of being Wayne Gretzky's father.

It is a complete farce.

And a sad joke on those who truly deserve the recognition.

Ham.Clan
2007-12-30, 08:41 PM
I completely disagree.
What's farcical about volunteering countless hours of one's time for the betterment of others?
While I will concede that Walter's profile is inherently higher as a function that he sired the Great One, that does not diminish his contributions or their impact.
He's been doing this kind of volunteer work for years.
This isn't some patronage award.

I'm certain that the thousands of other Canadians who volunteer their time are being duly recognized at the grass roots level by their Chambers and Boards and Municipalities, just like Walter was.
And I'm sure, like Walter, they aren't doing it for the recognition.

mtlnorm
2007-12-30, 09:41 PM
Definition from "http://www.gg.ca/honours/nat-ord/oc/index_e.asp"

"Member

Recognizes: a lifetime of distinguished service in or to a particular community, group or field of activity"

Walter Gretzky fits this criteria?

No.

He became a "charitable" person after his son became a superstar and was needed to help manage the buzz.

Before that he was just another hockey dad. Just like hundreds of thousands of other Canadians.

Walter Gretzky may deserve local awards alongside "the thousands of other Canadians who volunteer their time are being duly recognized at the grass roots level by their Chambers and Boards and Municipalities" but he does NOT deserve the Order of Canada.

To give him this award denigrates the award itself.

Because he only got it because he is Wayne Gretzky's father, and someone else, far more deserving, missed the cut.

Ed H
2007-12-31, 12:03 AM
I disagree with Ham.Clan,,respectfully,,without prejudice etc etc..
My opinion is that if Wayne was not his son,,all the wonderful things that he has done would not have come to the attention of the powers that be.
I believe that Gretsky SR richly deserves the Honor,,but I know of others who also deserve it,,

How about Andrew Brash?

Ham.Clan
2007-12-31, 01:44 AM
Definition from "http://www.gg.ca/honours/nat-ord/oc/index_e.asp"

"Member

Recognizes: a lifetime of distinguished service in or to a particular community, group or field of activity"

... he does NOT deserve the Order of Canada.

Mtlnorm, perhaps you have a better vantage point to view Mr. Gretzky's community contributions and worthiness from your location in Châteauguay, Québec, than I do here in Brantford, Ontario.

I concede you are far more passionate on this subject than I.
Here's the nomination page for you to submit your list of "legitimate" candidates for the next selection round - http://www.gg.ca/honours/nat-ord/oc/oc-info_e.asp

Cheers and Happy New Year.