: Sharp Aquos hdmi handshaking/outputs

lol2
2007-12-21, 10:23 AM
I was just wondering..for some reason only 1 of my 2 hdmi outputs work with my console/dvd player...any reason that both don't work?

The non working one just doesn't display anything..any ideas?

Tezster
2007-12-21, 10:44 AM
Does it output ANY display at all? i.e. the player's internal setup screen, or content from non-protected discs? If it does, but it doesn't output anything else, then I would suspect an HDCP or handshake issue.

If it doesn't display anything at all, I would imagine something's physically wrong with the connection itself.

lol2
2007-12-21, 11:13 AM
Hmmm..that's weird, suddenly it works.

I had feared that I had a faulty hdmi port..but maybe I just didn't plug the hdmi cord in hard enough.

Im worried that an hdmi handshake issue may be present with my ps3/360. I often get no sound when switched back to tv input after playing either of the two consoles...would this indicate an hdmi handshake issue?

All i have to do is turn the tv on/off to fix it..but is this an indicator of faulty sharp aquos tv, should I attempt an exchange?

Tezster
2007-12-21, 12:32 PM
It's hard to say where the issue lies (and I'm definitey no expert on HDMI connectivity) - maybe some sort of a handshake problem between varying versions of the HDMI implementation across different devices? I know all the later HDMI specs are supposed to be backwards compatible with earlier ones, but I've found they still cause issues in some cases.

How have you configured the various HDMI audio output settings for the various devices you have? If you're switching from one to another, and one happens to be set to output bitstream and the other a downmixed stereo PCM output, maybe that might be causing some issues.

I can only speak from personal experience, and in my case, I know that my TV won't decode bitstream audio via HDMI.

Having said that, if your tv is still under warranty, it can't hurt if you can get a tech onsite to better evaluate the problem.

2007-12-21, 05:00 PM
lol2, please see the following:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112 HDMI issues.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694 Things to check

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 Newbie information - useful post and links.

BTW, TVs have HDMI inputs, not outputs.

kev604
2007-12-22, 03:21 AM
I've experienced pretty much the same problem with my D43U Aquos. Switching between inputs sometimes the HDMI inputs will lose its signal. Sometimes it comes back on its own sometimes I have to turn the TV off and on again. Not sure if its a defect or an inherent problem with the model but have been living with it so far.

otown47
2007-12-22, 09:14 AM
I had an HDMI connectivity problem the first time I hooked evrything up to my Sharp so I powered everything off and on again and all worked well...never a problem again. The HDMI plug interface can be problematic. Make sure the plug is seated firmly. Also do you have gold contacts on your plug...if not it might be worthwhile to by an inexpensive HDMI cable with gold contacts.