: Hook up cable to plasma

champagnma
2007-12-13, 07:00 PM
The problem is that I have a Panasonic plasma TV model TH-42PHD8UK but not sure how to connect the cable to make it work. No cable plug in on my plasma. S video cale only.
Thanks

jvincent
2007-12-13, 07:05 PM
You need a cable set top box or VCR with a cable tuner.

The 8UK series of plasmas are "industrial" monitors.

champagnma
2007-12-13, 07:08 PM
I have a combo unit with DVD and VCR. Where do I plug the cable and will the s video cable bring the signal to the TV.
Thanks

2007-12-13, 07:14 PM
You plug the RF-coax cable into the back of the combo (input), use the VCR to tune to the channel you want and use the composite video output (or S-video if that works) and analogue audio outputs to connect to a receiver or something for sound.

This is, however, SD, and probably pretty poor quality SD using an inexpensive analogue tuner in a combo VCR.

I suggest you consider feeding your HDTV some HD - You'll need a STB (set top box) for that if you have cable.

See the following post useful for newbies.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

Also Cables & Connections:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

Cyclism
2007-12-13, 07:16 PM
champagnma:

As jvincent has told you, the 8UK series of Panasonic Plasmas are industrial monitors with no built-in tuner. They don't even come with speakers unless purchased separately.

You can plug the cable from the wall into the Cable IN RF of your DVD/VCR unit. You can then use a composite cable (yellow), S-video, or even better, if your DVD/VCR unit has component video outputs (Red, Green, Blue) you should use that.

However, please be aware that all of those options will not give you a high-definition image from any of your sources.

For that you will need to get a HD set top box from your cable provider and subscribe to a HD channel package.

Please update your User Profile with your location and service provider so we can better help you with specifics.

jvincent
2007-12-13, 07:18 PM
Looks like I was slow on the reply since 57 and Cyclism beat me to it.