: Best LCD For under 3000?

NazT
2007-12-12, 05:14 AM
I am looking to buy a new TV for my parents as a christmas gift, but I have no idea what to look for in terms of specs and have never followed the TV trends. So I came here in search of some guidance in choosing the right TV set. So far I have narrowed my choices down to LCD, which was complicating enough. I have read a couple of things about contrast ratios and 1080p, but it's all so confusing, as there are so many things to know in such little time. Kind of in panic here, any help would be appreciated. As of now I am not a fan boy of any brand in particular, but all that could change by the end of the year hopefully.

So basically, my budget is $3000 CAD after taxes, so roughly 2500ish before taxes. What LCD is the best choice for my budget? Also can anyone help me better understand what specs to look out for in order to make a decision on which TV beats which "on paper." As for the size of the screen, I was thinking around 46"-52", but I doubt I can afford any of the worth while 52"s.

Thanks

Torontoblue
2007-12-12, 06:32 AM
I can highly recommend getting the Phillips 47PFL7422D/37. It flies under the radar a lot because Phillips aren't too well known over here at the moment, and everyone seems to go for Toshiba, Sony or Sharp, but it's probably the better screen IMHO.

I've had this since October and it totally blows away the plasma I had beforehand. The picture is crisp, blacks are deep, HDTV looks wonderful and alive. I was always going to buy the Sharp Aquos until I read about the banding issues and then this LCD appears on the market and knowing Phillips reputation, I knew I had to have it. Check it out and you won't be disappointed.

ds7777
2007-12-12, 05:23 PM
i would highly recommend Sony 52XBR4 LCD - you should be able to negotiate this price down towards $3300. It will be worth every penny. Otherwise if 52" is too big, there's the little brother, 46XBR4 for about 2800 (after negotiation).

enjoy!

Stargazer
2007-12-12, 05:44 PM
I got my 52" Sony 52W3000 in that price range--that included a Sony Blu-ray player. It's similar to the XBR4 with a few less of the extra fancy features (like 60 MHz vs 120 MHz) but I think the picture quality is really good.

2007-12-13, 12:20 AM
If you wish to learn quickly about HDTVs, check out the following post and the links therein - useful for newbies:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

Several posts discussing pricing have been edited or removed.

Rocky03
2007-12-13, 12:46 AM
Stargazer, can you please post on the "HDTV Deals" on where and what price you bought the 52" Sony LCD? I'm looking to buy this one on the weekend.