: Infrastructure 'near collapse'

hugh
2007-11-20, 04:53 PM
The infrastructure in Canadian cities is "near collapse" and will cost $123 billion to repair and replace money that municipalities don't have, a new report warns. (http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/278129)

It shocks me that governments can spend money with reckless abandon but not on basic infrastructure.

eljay
2007-11-20, 04:58 PM
This thread is a perfect counter-point to the thread about paying athletes for medals. (The amount of the medal money alone isn't the issue: The problem is the thinking behind diverting money from core/essential services and spending it where - in my opinion, anyway - it doesn't need to be spent.)

hugh
2007-11-20, 05:02 PM
Agreed. In addition, as the economy falters in the coming months (as it appears it will), this would be an excellent time for the government to spend big on infrastructure.

It would stimulate a lot of work in the trades and offset job losses elsewhere.

jacksparrow
2007-11-20, 05:08 PM
It was scary driving in this morning and hearing this on the news, especially with the ssimilar incident of the bridges in montreal a few months back. That is a lot of money, but from what I heard, the structures have been under maintenance anyway, and are due for a thorough checkup next year.