: Help with router

docted
2007-10-04, 01:50 PM
I have recently purchased a laptop and would like to connect with my desktop through a router.
I have no knowledge of routers so I would appreciate all the help that I can get.
Does the router connect to the desktop, laptop, or both?
I note there are different types with designations such as "b", "g" and "n".
Which would I get? Any recommendations as to brands?
Many thanks.

hugh
2007-10-04, 02:00 PM
The router connects to your cable or DSL modem.

The computers can connect physically to the router using ethernet or wirelessly (if its a wireless router).

Simply speaking b/g/n is the speed. B is old and slow so avoid it. Wireless-G is the most common and best value today. N still has some potential compatibility issues and has variable performance and is more costly so I would avoid it unless you really understand why you need to go past wireless G.

All of them come with extensive instruction manuals and are generally easy to setup. Popular Brands include linksys, d-link, netgear.

See the companies website for more details and manuals. Linksys and D-link have extensive FAQ sections and flash demos on their sites which can explain everything

jvincent
2007-10-04, 02:01 PM
Do you also have a DSL or cable modem connection?

If so, what you usually do is connect the modem to the router to manage the single internet connection for multiple PCs. Any PCs you have are also connected to the router.

For now I would stay away from the "n" ones. You should be able to get a "g", which will also include "b" for under $100. I haven't checked prices in a while.

Either Linksys or Netgear are good options and the setup instructions are pretty straightforward.

EDIT: hugh types faster than I do. :)