: Is the fan loud on your 6416?

Pages : [1] 2

lorenmc
2007-09-05, 12:44 PM
I just picked up a 6416 Phase III and the fan on the unit seems to be really loud. Even when the unit is off the fan speed will rev up and down such that you can hear it from 12 ft away while carrying on a conversation. Is this normal?

I also have a 6412 from a couple of years ago and it is not nearly as loud. Sure you can hear the hard drive chirping away but there is no fan noise that revs up and down.

Might I have a defective 6416?

Loren

Roweig
2007-09-05, 01:42 PM
I too sit about 12 feet away from my 6416 STB. You may or may not have a defective unit here. Just tap the top of your STB. This may make the sound go away. I had a similar problem (it happened about 2 times) and I fixed it by tapping the top of the box or by repositioning the STB. If tapping the top of your STB doesn't work then I would suggest getting a service technician out to have a look at the unit. Remember I said tap, not hit.

lorenmc
2007-09-05, 05:53 PM
Thanks Roweig, I'll give that a try.

Can anyone else comment on how loud their fan is on their 6416? Is it generally pretty quiet or can you normally hear it changing RPM and such even when the unit is off?

Richard Travale
2007-09-05, 05:55 PM
The fan is pretty quiet on my 6416. Every once in a while I can hear the HDD spinning though. That's very rare though.

lorenmc
2007-09-05, 05:58 PM
I cannot even hear the hard drive over the noise of the fan!!

hockeymancw
2007-09-05, 06:00 PM
Mine is quiet, but it does vibrate a bit.

NBALeaguePass
2007-09-05, 06:09 PM
my fan is not loud. but its does, if you can believe it, pops and squeels. I have no idea why this is so.

DCTGoddess
2007-09-06, 01:50 PM
Sounds like it's misaligned, or not mounted well. Also, a well ventilated DCT has a more quiet fan, since it doesn't have to work as hard.

couchpotatoe
2007-09-07, 12:58 AM
Dead quiet fan and HDD here, sitting on couch with TV off reading a magazine. Of course they are working, I can hear them if I get realy close.

Paul Clancy
2007-09-07, 09:23 AM
I own 2 6416 boxes , identical. One in a rack is dead quiet. One on an open shelf has the fan that revs up and down sometimes, sometimes normal. What I've found is this happens when the unit has one or both tuners on an analog channel. If both are on digital or hd the fan is quiet. Appears more heat is generated from the analogs. I switched the 2 boxes to see if it was about where they were located but the problem followed the box. Also updated firmware and had shaw do a remote reset, problem still there. I think it's a bad box and will have a tech swap it.

djdragan
2007-09-07, 04:27 PM
I sit about 10ft away and the only thing I can hear is the click when I turn it on or off.

merve04
2007-09-07, 10:21 PM
I own 2 6416 boxes , identical. One in a rack is dead quiet. One on an open shelf has the fan that revs up and down sometimes, sometimes normal. What I've found is this happens when the unit has one or both tuners on an analog channel. If both are on digital or hd the fan is quiet. Appears more heat is generated from the analogs. I switched the 2 boxes to see if it was about where they were located but the problem followed the box. Also updated firmware and had shaw do a remote reset, problem still there. I think it's a bad box and will have a tech swap it.
Your on to something, my first 6412 was on the analog map and the fan would kick in and would be pretty loud, my second one, got put on the all digital map and i have yet to hear it.

lorenmc
2007-09-10, 06:40 PM

Paul,

Your 2nd unit sounds a lot like mine. For a couple of days I thought that it had fixed itself (at least the fan wasn't reving up and down) but then it came back. It very well might be dependent on the channels I had it on when I shut the unit off, I wasn't really paying attention to that. I'll give that a test tonight. Is your quiet unit still quiet even on the analog channels?

I will probably end up exchanging the unit for another one since it sounds like quieter ones definitely do exist out there. In fact, when I called Shaw and spoke to a CSR, that is what they recommended since a tech would just replace it with a refurbished unit whereas I could exchange for a new one since I am still within 30 days of purchase.

Loren

Paul Clancy
2007-09-11, 09:31 AM
My first 6416 has never had the fan rev problem on any channel-only the second unit. Both were new in box.

lorenmc
2007-09-12, 01:28 PM
So last night, when I got home from work, the fan noise was pretty bad i.e. constantly revving to a high RPM and then down again. I tuned both tuners to an HD channel and shut the unit off. After about 3.5 hours the fan was still revving up and down.

Late in the evening, when the kid is in bed, I listen to the TV at a relatively low volume, but still loud enough to clearly hear things from 12 ft away. However, I can clearly hear the fan on the 6416 above the level of the TV. It is quite distracting. I'll be exchanging the unit this weekend in the hopes of getting a quieter unit.

Regards,

Loren

lorenmc
2007-09-20, 04:56 PM
I exchanged my loud 6416 with another one and it is so much quieter. I do not hear any fan noise at all, just a bit of hard drive action if I put my ear up close. Thanks all for the replies.

Loren

Paul Clancy
2007-10-05, 08:12 AM
Had mine replaced as well, new box is near silent.

merve04
2007-10-07, 12:53 PM
When I first got shaw, I was given a 6412, and then replaced by another 6412, it was loud. When they replaced me to a 6416 and the next 2 times after that always being a 6416 model, they are whisper quiet.

HDGeorge
2007-10-07, 08:07 PM
I've never heard the fan on my 6416. I don't think it ever turns on. It sits on a shelf and has free ventilation.

Terry D
2009-06-01, 09:33 PM
After 15mths, my 6416 III fan started getting noticeably noisy, as if the fan was speeding up and slowing down constantly. Tapping the STB did not work, neither did a reset. Although a really hot day, the temp was was listed as 40C even though max temp was set to 127C. I called in Shaw and they replaced the unit with a new one which is almost silent. What a difference.