: Gamer needs some advice on what type to buy...

QuantumFluxx
2007-08-31, 07:14 AM
Okay here's my dilemma. I currently have a 32" LCD Flat Panel HDTV that I use primarily for heavy Xbox 360 and Wii gaming, as well as a medium amount of TV watching over my HDPVR box. I sit about 9' away from my TV the way my room is set up right now, and I have decided I wanted to go for bigger, better picture.

I've been doing some research regarding price points and viewing distance, as well as the whole 720p vs 1080p debacle. And I am currently just confused on what to choose. While my Xbox 360 is currently hooked up through component at 720p, I would like the added room of using HDMI to view my games in 1080p.

What I'm currently trying to figure out is if I want to go with a straight LCD Flat panel 46" sharp aquos with full 1080p resolution, or go with a Sony 50-55" Wega LCDRP. From what I understand 1080p will allow me to sit closer to my tv without noticing this "screen door" effect that happens with LCDRP but I don't know at what distance this will occur. The way my room is set up, if I get the 50 or 55" my viewing distance from the TV will go from 9.5' to about 8' or worst case 7.6'. Now is that going to cause me problems with HD gaming and television and the screen door effect? The store I'm planning to purchase from doesn't have an HD signal hooked up to any of the TV's other than the really high price models, so I can't accurately test my viewing distance in the store.

Or should I anticipate the inevitable need for 1080p and buy the smaller, 47" sharp aquos for almost an extra grand over the LCDRP. The idea isn't to have a godly tv with absolute best reviews, but I want something better than my current which by the way, has a 16ms response time and 800:1 contrast ratio which is starting to really look gross on SD signals. Is 1080p really worth the extra 1000 dollars to be able to see clearly while gaming at my viewing distances, or will the screen door effect be negligible if at all visible at 8 feet?

I'm just trying to make an informed decision here so that I don't end up with a big screen and uglier picture than I'm getting on my current HDTV.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

~QF

QuantumFluxx
2007-08-31, 11:39 PM
Alright well I went in to my local Brick store today and baught a Sony 46" Bravia LCD tv. Except the salesman lied about its specs claiming it did 1080p and that it had a 4ms response time. Both lies. Going in tomorrow to cancel my order. Not too happy with them. Gonna just order through their website and circumvent all their sales associates.

newffieca
2007-09-01, 11:52 AM
For gaming, plasma is the way to go, as the picture
is brighter and has more detail. Faster response time
is a plus. I have a lcd 32" & projector t200 92" and a pioneer 5070 which i prefer for playing xbox360.
regards