: Some questions DCT-6416 III. I switched from Bell's HD PVR

Grinder911
2007-07-11, 07:59 PM
I recently moved to a condo not allowing satellite dishes so i switched to shaw.
To me the Bell PVR was the best one I've used when it worked but is very unreliable as the people who write the software solve one problem and cause 3 more.

There were a few features I really liked on Bell's that seem missing from Shaw.

1. Shaw's 5 times fast forward is freaking slow. Seems to skip 30 seconds every second. Bell's 300x ff could get me through the 15 minute break between periods during a hockey game in under 10 seconds. Plus the counters only show hours and minutes, not seconds.

2. Mon-Fri series recording option. It's in the reminders, why's it not in the recording options?

3. The IPG - It would be nice to have the times the show originally aired.

4. The remote is very slow. I press the 30 sec skip 6 times in a row and it does it maybe twice.
I was forced to use it for a week while waiting for the line in the office to be hooked up properly.
Once I had internet again I solved my problem by switching back to my Harmony 880. Now if I press it 6 times it does it 6 times.
Not to mention i can go through the IPG a lot quicker.

Other than those things everything has been working very well and it's nice to finally be using something that doesn't screw up on a regular basis.

Looking forward to updates and added features,

hockeymancw
2007-07-12, 10:18 AM
1. Yep, that is what I get too
2. There is a mon-fri recording option when you set up a recording, but you have to create the recording, then go back into the recording options and the option is there.
3. I would agree

Dean W
2007-07-15, 11:10 PM
How is the PQ compared to EVU? Specifically TSN HD, SNET HD, US NETS.

jumpy27
2007-07-16, 05:39 AM
I have both Shaw and Bell PVR's. Here is what I have found: The 9200 is alot faster for FF and RW--in fact it is 5 times faster at the 300X speed. It takes about 12 seconds to go through 1 hour on the 9200, and about 60 seconds with the Shaw PVR's. And the buffer with Shaw's is only 27 minutes with HD, compared to one hour with the 9200. The biggest thing that I like about the Shaw PVR so far is the total absence of the "jump to live bug".

Dean W
2007-07-16, 11:57 AM
JUMPY

How is the picture quality for HD for both providers?

Grinder911
2007-07-27, 07:17 PM
How is the PQ compared to EVU? Specifically TSN HD, SNET HD, US NETS
How is the picture quality for HD for both providers

I have found them to be pretty much the same.

2. There is a mon-fri recording option when you set up a recording, but you have to create the recording, then go back into the recording options and the option is there.

Well I haven't found this mon-fri option you talk about even after setting up a recording and going back into the options. I only get the usual new, new & repeats, ect...

The biggest thing that I like about the Shaw PVR so far is the total absence of the "jump to live bug"

That is something I just love about the Shaw PVR.

Shaw Guru
2007-07-27, 08:31 PM
The Monday-Friday option only shows up if you select "Set a Recording" in the PVR section. This option allows you to set a recording based on time, day and channel. After the recording is set you can go into "Future Recording" and find your recording then select the wrench to modify that recording and it will then give you these options. The recording will show up as day, time, & channel in the recordings though as the PVR only knows that's what was set and it does not know the name of the program.

Grinder911
2007-08-01, 05:56 PM
The Monday-Friday option only shows up if you select "Set a Recording" in the PVR section. This option allows you to set a recording based on time, day and channel. After the recording is set you can go into "Future Recording" and find your recording then select the wrench to modify that recording and it will then give you these options. The recording will show up as day, time, & channel in the recordings though as the PVR only knows that's what was set and it does not know the name of the program.

That's what I was afraid of. I did this when I first got the box but as you mentioned the title of the program doesn't show up.
Hopefully that will be something they'll look at adding in future updates.
Thanks for the replies.

cm_soo
2007-08-07, 11:23 AM
I currently have both right now, I can confirm that Bell has a vastly better picture quality than Shaw on the SD channels, it's night and day (but I am on Shaw analogue).
I think that the audio is better on EV as well.

madbob
2007-08-07, 11:38 AM
I just changed back to Shaw from Bell and I find that the SD picture quality on Shaw to be very good, some channels are better some are worse. My 6416 are
receiving all digital. I find Shaw`s HD much sharper than Bells.