: Belinda Stronach has Breast Cancer Surgery

Mole
2007-06-23, 07:27 AM
So It turns out she has breast cancer.

Jake
2007-06-23, 10:03 AM
A few posters have made some unflattering comments about Stronach in the past. In light of this news, I ask you to keep this thread civil and respectful. Thank you.

que3jxp
2007-06-23, 10:46 AM
All things being equal, it is unfortunate that she has cancer, but her political track record was not one that led anyone to believe that her decision was for anything but gain.

I know that Moles post was edited but we all got the e-mail with the original text. I will not requote it but I will point out that if one is totally unaware of the real circumstances, one cannot be held accountable for stances taken based on the evidence at hand at that time.

No one should be smug at the expense of someone elses suffering regardless of who they are.

nfitz
2007-06-23, 11:07 AM
... but we all got the e-mail with the original text.E-mail???

stampeder
2007-06-23, 12:45 PM
Today's news that Belinda Stronach is recuperating from breast cancer after a mastectomy and reconstruction is a jolt. First because it is a terrifying experience for her, second because it is a terrifying prospect for all women (and all the men and children who love them), and third because it proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that she is, after all, a human being just like the rest of us, albeit a very noted person for many reasons.

Some web criticism of public figures is so damned personal and invasive that it is guaranteed to implode when the nature of the target person is revealed to be very human. A lesson to be derived is that harshness of personal criticism is highest amongst the unwise.

In Belinda's case, trash talk has been waaaaay over the top for so long that it is now easily ignored as being... well... trashy. Some of the trash talkers don't want to admit their discomfort in the light of this bad news, so they try to use a "but we didn't know about this back then" excuse as though it will somehow exculpate them. Nope.

It is time to just drop the personal attacks on her. Let her get on with her life. Move on, trash talkers. Nothing left to see here.

que3jxp
2007-06-23, 01:14 PM
E-mail???

I have instant notification on so I get e-mails of what was posted as it was originally posted.

as though it will somehow exculpate them. Nope.

Disagree as it is just as easy statistically, that she did not come down with cancer.

I do agree that some of the smack talk was getting a bit vitriolic (And that may include me, I don't remember)

It is time to just drop the personal attacks on her. Let her get on with her life. Move on, trash talkers. Nothing left to see here.

VERY much agree. To the degree that perhaps this thread needs to be closed up so it does not get silly.

2007-06-23, 05:47 PM
From the Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070623.wstronach0623/BNStory/National/home

jacksparrow
2007-06-24, 08:02 AM
Hope she gets over this, as it's not something that any woman likes to have. At the same time though, I hope this is not the work of spin doctors trying to rebuild her public image.

As we know, spin doctors will go to any length to help celebrities and famous people build their tarnished image :rolleyes:

Mole
2007-06-24, 08:13 AM
If she is willing to have part of her self cut off to doctor her spin, that is someone you do not want to take lightly.

She made her choice earlier and was reelected in her riding at that point I think the rest of the criticism is either political and pointless or personal and ugly.

nfitz
2007-06-24, 01:41 PM
I have instant notification on so I get e-mails of what was posted as it was originally posted.? I had no idea there was such a thing. Perhaps I should get out of the habit of posting a reply - and then starting to edit it properly after it's already posted. I really don't think most people are working this way though.

As for Belinda - damn shame. She was a popular politician, and was one of the first to call Harper for what he is. As for those suggesting that this is the work of spin doctors - shame on you - would you consider having your testes cut off to save face?