: Street racers warned: We will crush your car

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

cyclocommuter
2007-06-20, 06:01 PM
Likening speed shops that make street racers to illegal drug labs and bomb factories, Attorney General Michael Bryant is warning the cars could be seized before they even hit the roads. (http://www.thestar.com/News/article/227464)

I guess the Atty General is specifically targeting the speed shops that modify or sell racing kits and parts for street racers. The question though is what about the car manufacturers that manufacture racing tuned vehicles... Porches, Lancer Evos, Mustangs, etc.? Will the cars on their showrooms be crushed too? :confused:

Is a rev limiter or speed governor on all cars and motorbikes the answer?

congo
2007-06-20, 08:17 PM
Seems a bit harsh. Sounds like they're guilty without given the chance to prove innocence. As you say, there are lots of factory cars that can achieve the same things these tuned cars can do.

If they want to ban something, it should be the mufflers they're installing; quite annoying. This goes the same for the straight pipes on motorcycles as well.

cyclo
2007-06-21, 12:13 AM
Well it appears another city beat Toronto to it (crushing street racers/ricers):

Street racer's souped-up cars crushed (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955/)

hugh
2007-06-21, 08:12 AM
This is absolutely asinine. If someone commits a crime, throw them in jail but crushing automobiles because you don't like them is crazy

Last year when a cab driver in Toronto was killed in a high speed race, the kids were both driving Mercedes Benz at about 140km on Mt. PLeasant

Why is okay to drive a 260 or 295 horsepower Lexus / BMW / Mercedes but not a tweaked 170hp Honda?

sleemo
2007-06-21, 08:52 AM
I think they're going to be targetting cars that have illegal modifications. What "illegal modifications" means, has to be defined more clearly. Although, I don't have any problem with the cops taking away and crushing some kid's car outfitted with a NOS system.

hugh
2007-06-21, 10:57 AM
I agree that no one (kids or otherwise) should have NOS systems in their cars so make it illegal and heavily fine anyone who is found to have one but seizing them and/or crushing them is too much.

Should be like radar detectors. You fine folks, you don't take away their cars.

otown47
2007-06-21, 11:06 AM
These "kids" should build a race track so that they can go do their thing and only harm themselves.

Q
2007-06-21, 11:19 AM
Tough subject. There are several race tracks that one can go to within an hour or so of toronto. I have been up to Mosport DDT track several times last year. There are also always autoslalom courses every weekend all around the GTA. You want to go fast. Go there. It is much safer for everyone.

Mods: Not going to talk about ins. company's views because any mod you do WILL affect your insurance. I see nothing wrong with modding your car with better suspension, engine tweaks, body enhancements etc. NOS IMO is for most people just show. There are many racers out there in solosprint which have there cars modified a lot but they do there racing on the track only. I fear painting with a broad black brush like this can make life difficult for people who actually are racing at the race track.

hugh
2007-06-21, 12:21 PM
Sadly, These latest pronouncements are clearly liberals who are trying to gain political mileage in front of an upcoming electrion from two horrible accidents on the 400 series highways this past week.

So what is a street racer and how is it different from a "wreckless driver?"

Are two jerks driving 150 or 160km and riding up each others butt and changing lanes without signalling on the 400 in their BMW and Lexus street racers?

This is wreckless driving and we have laws against it. It just needs to be enforced.

JohnnyG
2007-06-21, 12:54 PM
You almost never find the "street racer" types at auto-slalom competitions! The mods they make on their cars make them handle like junk. They run once, then leave with their tails tucked between their legs. Instead of learning all about vehicle handling and dynamics - and learning to drive better - they go looking for the next stop light grand prix.

Q
2007-06-21, 01:09 PM
I have never seen one at a autoslalom or solosprint either.

I think it is a thrill thing. There is a drag stip at cayuga where you can take your car and do it there for a very low price. I think they will do it on the road no matter what. To me racing has so much more to do with braking, and cornering that acceleration is the easy part of it.

I agree with John that most have no clue about vehicle dynamics, and ability to control a car. IMO the driving school I went to was one of the best things I ever got. You not only learn about car control, physics behind it etc. but you also learn the limits of your car, and yourself.

I would not crush modified looking cars unless there was substatial proof they have been street racing. IMO they have to somehow put the word out or have snitches or do something where the public can help them catch and stop street racing.

hugh,

a guy in bmw and another in a lexus going 150+ changing lanes erractically and passing everyone is racing. The public view however is anyone with a modified car to "LOOK" like a race car is a streetracer. You will never hear about the M3 being crushed for going 180 on the highway.

Just my IMO.

rpr
2007-06-21, 01:27 PM
Q and JohhnyG, what club(s) are you in? I wasn't expecting Solosprint people to show up here... :)

Tom

Q
2007-06-21, 02:11 PM
I was part of the HADA club. I did a solosprint event last year, several lapping days and a few autoslalom events with PITTL (push it to the limit) over at Bronte Go station.

Mainly time, (darn kids take up my weekends) has put that on hold for me for now. I am hoping to do at least one lapping day and a few autoslaloms this year though.

magnet
2007-06-21, 03:40 PM
I think racing @ 200 km/h is a bit excessive...
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/227997

JohnnyG
2007-06-21, 04:08 PM
I used to compete (well, if you can call it that ;)) in the Push it to the Limit series when I had my RX-7. As long as I beat a few Hondas, it was a good day! (Just kidding, Q!!) The car is gone now and although a capable set of wheels, it just wouldn't be the same in my Mazda3 sedan. Some day I will return though!

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/

The thing with street racers is that most of them really don't have quick or capable cars. That's why they don't race at official places like drag strips or autoslaloms. What's the point in turning up with your "hot" Civic and turning a 17 second quarter mile or ending up with one of the slower times? It's embarrassing. They'd prefer to act like idiots at stop lights where cutting off other cars - and each other - shows "guts" rather than skill or BRAINS.

hugh
2007-06-21, 04:29 PM
I think racing @ 200 km/h is a bit excessive...

So by McGuinty logic, we need to ban black corvettes too!

Honestly, I think these guys should be locked up but I don't we need more laws and more bureaucracy to deal with it. We have laws on the books. Lets enforce them or make the penalties even more severe for existing laws.

eljay
2007-06-21, 04:42 PM
Perhaps the government could declare a "war on (street-racing) terror" and implement a tax...I mean, service fee to help fund it! :D

hugh, you are correct: Put existing laws to work, don't create new ones...whether it's for street-racing, gun control (registry) or violent ("hate") crimes.

jacksparrow
2007-06-21, 04:43 PM
Cars with a lot of muscle should be banned in the 1st place, cos you are never going to be able to push it to the limit legally, so what is the point? Dodge chargers and the like with 600bhp is just retarted

Mexicanuck
2007-06-21, 05:04 PM
Anyone who remembers the "radar detector" discussion here a while ago will recall that I am pretty seriously against speeding. But I found the comparison to drug paraphernalia to be interesting.

I don't think that people's possessions should be seized and destroyed because the police believe them to be used for an illegal activity. I don't think that people's pipes and papers should be seized. I don't support people losing their syringes to the police. And I wouldn't support automobiles being seized and destroyed.

People don't need a modified car to street race, they only need a lack of respect for other people's lives. I suspect that street racers who lost their cars would continue to race, just in crappier cars.

Q
2007-06-21, 05:04 PM
jacksparrow,

You a politician? There are many LEGAL ways to drive the car as fast as you can.

Joe