: TO Mayor Wants Yellow Ribbons Off City Vehicles

Pages : [1] 2

otown47
2007-06-20, 08:58 AM
David Miller wants yellow-ribbon decals pulled from Toronto city vehicles.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=10d28bcf-1e42-45e3-99a0-b4390219d7ec

The NDP is allive and well in the Queen city!!!

Cap
2007-06-20, 09:19 AM
And to think we still have 3 more years with this "dummy"

eljay
2007-06-20, 09:23 AM
The headline "Mayor wants yellow-ribbon decals pulled from Toronto city vehicles" is very misleading. According to the article:Toronto Mayor David Miller is backing a plan by the city's fire and ambulance chiefs...

Farr and his colleague, fire Chief Bill Stewart, told a press conference Tuesday that neither city council, nor city staff ordered the stickers removed.

Instead, the chiefs said the campaign ... was done on their authority and would be ended on their authority, as planned, in the autumn.I don't see an issue with removing the stickers from city vehicles. While I know many people will object to their removal, I'm sure many of these same people would have no qualms about objecting to municipal vehicles being adorned with stickers that support abortion, gay marriage and crack-pipe programs.

summerfan
2007-06-20, 09:35 AM
This is a very big issue.Toronto is withdrawing there support this is a huge slap in the face.

QuickSilver
2007-06-20, 09:41 AM
I always took the yellow ribbons to show support for the TROOPS!! Whether they are in Timbuktu or Afghanistan. I work for a small municipal government and can see how this can happen. A small group of morons call the city or town office to complain about something and the "leaders" cave at the first inkling of any complaining.

otown47
2007-06-20, 10:02 AM
I don't think the headline is misleading at all...he supports removing the ribbons and he's the major......presumably he has the final say in the matter. If he supported the ribbons they would stay...

Mexicanuck
2007-06-20, 12:52 PM
I don't think the headline is misleading at all...he supports removing the ribbons and he's the major...

The article says it is, "...a plan by the city's fire and ambulance chiefs to remove yellow 'Support-our-Troops' decals from the backs of nearly 350 municipal vehicles." The mayor is simply backing up the chiefs of fire and ambulance services on a decision they made.

Not interfereing with the scheduled end of a time-limited activity doesn't imply support for ending it. It simply reflects the absence of an initiative to extend the activity. In this instance, the people who had the authority to end the activity decided to end the activity.

Consider the following "headlines",

"School Board Chairperson Wants Schools Closed June 29"

"Premier Wants End To Daylight Savings Time November 4"

"Prime Minister Wants Tax Penalties Effective May 1"

None of these make sense as they simply state that the person does not oppose the implementation of a previous determined plan.

Nanuuk
2007-06-20, 02:30 PM
Whatever. Its politics and more's the pity. Whatever side of the debate you are on, support the troops!

Sickboy44
2007-06-20, 03:37 PM
I do not live in Toronto, but I do believe that city vehicles (which are purchased with public funds) should be neutral and impartial, just like any government vehicle for that matter. If city employees want to put "Support our Troops" stickers up their own personal vehicles, be my guest, but I support the mayor on this one.

summerfan
2007-06-20, 03:41 PM
Stickyboy
I would agree with you to a point.However the mayor has raised the rainbow flag in support of gay pride week.You can not say one thing and then do another.

eljay
2007-06-20, 03:54 PM
summerfan, with all due respect, your analogy doesn't work. Miller showed support for pride week...but he also showed support for the troops:
Hundreds gather in T.O. for 'Red Friday' rally (http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20060929/red_friday_rally_060929/20060929?hub=TorontoHome)

If the EMS and fire chief had started a year-long "gay pride" sticker program and, at the end of that year, the mayor voted to extend it, that would be "saying one thing and doing another".

summerfan
2007-06-20, 04:03 PM
Ejjay
Hours before ending the support the troop decal he raised the flag at city hall.So in short he was ending support for one and giving it to another.Yes now the council have over turned it all which was the right thing to do.

eljay
2007-06-20, 04:10 PM
You seem to have a special insight into the mayor's motivations, sumnterfan, so I won't pursue this with you any further. I'll just agree with Sickboy44's point that public vehicles should remain neutral.

summerfan
2007-06-20, 04:20 PM
Check any new site listen to any news network and you will aslo find out.

Nanuuk
2007-06-20, 06:34 PM
Its called patriotism. If we were a neutral country, I would agree. But we're not. We peace keep, we peace make. We send our troops into disaster areas at home and abroad.

otown47
2007-06-20, 06:48 PM
On the news tonight it looks like Miller (and the council) has backed down and will continue to show support for the troops by allowing the ribbons to stay.
http://www.insidetoronto.ca/News/article/28442

Its interesting that with the exception of Cap, there are no obvious TO DHC people voicing any opinions in this thread....do they know something we don't????;)

Danster
2007-06-20, 07:06 PM
They have to show their support cause who else would help them in freak snowstorms? :o Sorry, it was to good to pass.

Being ex military myself, I understand the point of being neutral on city or government trucks. I don't think they should be there but that should apply to any or all support our INSERT NAME in the future, gay pride and all. Just my 2 cents.

nfitz
2007-06-20, 07:50 PM
And to think we still have 3 more years with this "dummy"
Why would someone in Oshawa have any years with this "dummy". And personally I think Miller's doing a pretty decent job - compare to our last mayor, I haven't seen him supporting the Hell's Angels yet!

I hardly think anyone is going to judge a mayor, simply by supporting his own staff on a "no-one cares" ribbon issue.

Mexicanuck
2007-06-20, 08:08 PM
I think the manner in which Canadians and their politicians have treated military personnel and their families has been appalling for decades. Incomes has not supported families, equipment has been substandard, housing has been poor, education disrupted. The list goes on.

But this ribbonism is not about patriotism, it is about importing American militaristic jingoism into Canada.

Where were the ribbons for troops in Rwanda, Cyprus, the Golan Heights, Sinai, Jerusalem, Congo, Sierra Leon, Somalia, Darfur, Haiti, Bosnia, Cambodia, El Salvador and Angola?

Sure the vast majority of Canadian troops currently overseas are in Afganistan, but there have been thousands of troops involved in 72 missions since 1947. Most of those troops have been involved in Canada's area of expertise, peacekeeping.

The troops in Afghanistan are not involved in peacekeeping or peacemaking. They are involved in a long term military conflict in a foreign country. This is not about making Afghanistan better for Afghanis. It is about prosecuting a war against people who are perceived to be a threat to the US and Canada.

How long term? I was listening to a news report on the BBC yesterday in which British military commanders are talking about three decades of military presence in Afghanistan, presumably whether the Afghan people want them or not.

I am all for our federal government taking steps to improve the lives of people in the military. I don't think it is doing that by increasing the budget for funerals and pensions.

Supporting ribbon campaigns is not patriotism.

And not supporting ribbon campaigns is not being unpatriotic.

eljay
2007-06-20, 08:28 PM
Eloquently said.