: Calgary Flames Hire Mike Keenan

Nanuuk
2007-06-14, 08:08 PM
OK sports fans, what do you think of this move? I think Playfair was a tad out of his league last year and needs some more seasoning. Keenan has a rep for being a hard nose and also leaving some teams worse off than when he got there!

For me, the Flames coasted a bit too much last year and I think Iron Mike will stem the bleeding. Whether some of the star players will accept this is the big question.

JesseJ
2007-06-14, 08:18 PM
When Sutter was in the playoff's 2 years ago, the locker room was too serious.
He get's Noodles and Playfair is coach, and it's too light in the locker room.
Now we go to Keenan who is a hard a**...

I think it's good to get someone with his resume behind the bench, at least for the next couple seasons. Too bad for Playfair, but at least he's staying. Maybe Preston will move back down to the baby Flames, or he'll just go somewhere else.

Ricketty Rabbit
2007-06-14, 09:01 PM
Keenan was a disaster in Vancouver. However, he made up for it by the trade that sent Roberto Luongo to Vancouver in exchange for Tod Bertuzzi. (Note: Keenan made the trade just before he was fired as GM of the Florida Panthers. It is generally agreed that Keenan got hosed on the trade.)

In offer my heartfelt sympathy to all Calgarians. Vancouverites DO love it when the 'Nucks beat the Flames, but making Keenan the coach is just too cruel. Look for some high profile players to leave.

Ricketty

Icemann
2007-06-15, 01:28 AM
It's either going to be great for the Flames or its going to suck enormously. No middle ground. With the way Keenan treat goalies and Kipper being an unrestricted free agent next year, say goodbye to any lengthy playoff runs if Keenan is his old self.

And, I can't imagine he'll wear well with Iggy (also a UFA next year) either but I could be wrong.

BTW, since beating the Canucks in the 94 finals Keenan has only won one playoff series.

Hurricane
2007-06-15, 10:09 AM
I honestly feel that Iginla wouldn't be that big of a loss. He's way too inconsistent for how much he gets paid.

Kiprusoff on the other hand needs to be handed a very long, lucrative contract. He's a huge part of their success over the last few years. Imagine what kind of team the Flames would be if thay had some players who could regularly put pucks in the net.

This season wasn't so bad, but last year they were 27th in the league for goals scored, 19th the year before the strike with the big playoff run.

hockeymancw
2007-06-15, 10:51 AM
I like the hiring. The Flames were missing consistency and leadership behind the bench. Keenan will bring that to the team. He goes way back with Sutter and I can't see sutter hiring him if he thought he was going to hurt the team. Remember, Keenan is NOT the GM. He will not be allowed to trade Kiprusoff for Bertuzzi. Based on the interviews I have seen with Keenan (on Cool Shots and TSN) prior to the hiring, and he talked about how he has learned from his mistakes and has learned how to handle the players better. Also, Sutter has built the team with players that respond to his own style of coaching -- which he learned from Keenan.

If the Flames would have been able to win another 5-10 road games, they would have been a top team in the league. This was do to focus, work ethic and consistency. Keenan will be able to help in this department.

As for Playfair, I think he did a good job implementing a system that enables the Flames to score goals (plenty of goals for the Flames last year), and I never thought he should have been removed. I would have been content to give him another chance.

Is Keenan an improvement, definitely. It concerns me that Iginla and Kiprusoff are free agents, plus Keenan brings some baggage that will not entice players to come to Calgary. Also, it must be awkward for Playfair to remain in the organization. That will be a touchy situation and may impact his ability to be taken seriously as an associate coach.

Icemann
2007-06-15, 12:10 PM
It will be awkward but Tony Granato is still an assistant with the Avs I believe.

I think the baggage he brings perceived or real will hurt to a degree. One of the guys who works at my company played under Keenan in the NHL and he says he's just a maniac. I'm sure he's mellowed over time but when things go bad he will likely revert to his "roots".

Nanuuk
2007-06-17, 12:10 PM
Considering that there will be some wholesale changes on the team for next season, Keenan will probably be better at integrating the new players into the 'system'. I'm thinking the Flames have seen the last of Amonte, Freisen, McCarty, McLennan, Stuart, Ritchie and maybe Conroy, Yelle, or Langkow. Flames have a couple of young center men on the farm and are plugged at center. They need to give Lombardi more ice or trade him. They need some size and speed at the wings. They've got Iggy and Kipper for one more year, but are also going to have to open the vault for Phaneuf and Regehr.

hockeymancw
2007-06-18, 11:11 AM
I don't see Calgary losing Conroy, Yell or Langkow, but I think they need to get rid of the others. I do hope they resign McLennan though. He was a very capable backup last year and he is a good team player. I wouldn't count on him to take over the #1 for a few months if Kiprusoff got hurt, but other than one bad game last season, he was very good.

Nanuuk
2007-06-18, 08:08 PM
When Connie's around Iggy goes into the tank for extended periods. I like him, but they (Connie and Iggy) are too close. Kind of like close friends in school who don't accomplish much until you separate them.
I don't think Lombardi's a third line guy unless they give him line mates with wheels. And don't forget Flames are trying to bulk up so they might just want to retain Primeau (if he signs).

Lanks had a preemo season and while I'd like to keep him instead of Connie, he'd draw a greater return in a trade. Lombo might be trade bait too as he would draw a lot of interest from, say, Montreal. He has a lot of upside, so I'd want to keep him. Also, it would hurt as much as it did when Calgary traded Brett Hull. Lombardi's going to be a star.

Also can't forget that Tanguay is a natural center who was converted to a left winger. Yeller's getting long in the tooth as well, but plenty of teams would take him in a heartbeat. If it were up to me, he could stay as long as he likes, but its turning into a numbers game in Calgary. You can't keep them all.

You know it gives the club a lot of options and it might come down to training camp or if Sutter/Keenan see the young guns (Boyd and Taratukhin) making the bigs.

Ditto for Noodles. I like him, but you have to break Kahn or McElhinney in next year.

Icemann
2007-06-19, 12:17 PM
I wonder what Keenan will do with Huselius since he's considered to be soft by some. He had 34 goals and 77 points last year which is pretty damn good but doesn't fit that Keenan mold. Do you think Stephane Matteau will come out of retirement for Coach K?

Nanuuk
2007-06-19, 03:33 PM
Har-har. You funny.