: Audiophiles warn of demise of auto CD player

Pages : [1] 2

hugh
2007-06-13, 11:12 AM
The dash-mounted CD player could quickly go the way of 8-tracks and quadraphonic sound, a vice president from Siemens VDO said Thursday at the Ward's Interiors Show in Detroit. (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070607/UPDATE/706070504/1148/AUTO01&imw=Y)

With iPod, MP3 and Satellite radio, it seems possible

Danster
2007-06-13, 06:09 PM
I used to listen to my CD collection all the time in the car. Ever since I went with XM, I rarely even get a CD in the car. With satellite radio, I have all the types of music I feel like listening to so CD is not a priority anymore.

hockeymancw
2007-06-13, 06:14 PM
I never really got into CDs in the first place. I was a big fan of talk radio, but since I got XM, I haven't listened to a CD or regular radio (except in the shower). I found that I would get sick of CDs very fast in the car and it was a hassle to constantly be changing the track or the disc. Good riddance

hugh
2007-06-13, 06:29 PM
With my Stiletto, I never use the CD player in the car. I got rid of my CD players in the house about two years ago. When I buy a CD, I rip it to my computer and then file it away.

Luis_A51
2007-06-13, 06:53 PM
I just hope HD radio broadcasts are mainstream by then, and that the hardware required is inexpensive. Also I hope USB ports become standard, and that these new cd-less decks have decent menu systems.

bgclarke
2007-06-14, 10:56 PM
I still use the CD player in my car....to listen to the MP3s I burn to CD when I'm not in the mood to listen to something on XM, which is rare.

Arthur Dent
2007-06-15, 04:57 PM
It is sad, really. CD was the pinnacle of audio formats. It's been all downhill from there. Manufacturers found out that consumers actually don't give a damn about audio quality, and pushed (and continue to push) it into the ground. It all started with 128 kbps MP3s off the Internet played on $10 PC speakers, then iPod sound on crappy $2 headphones, then came the abomination called satellite radio. Consumers are obviously willing to take it - the future is no way friendly for the audiophiles.
That being said, I fully understand why people choose convenience over quality. I also listen to MP3 (also had sat radio for some time) in the car. I just feel sad about the good old days in consumer electronics when newer meant higher quality. In 10 years, when the last analog FM stations are shut down, the new generations will not even know what decent quality audio is or was, because they never were or would be able to hear it.

barter
2007-06-17, 03:47 PM
Yes I often lay awake at night lamenting that my children will not even know what decent quality audio is or was in 10-20 years time.:(;)

The comsumers are directing the market, their are not being forced to take anything, there getting what they want.

quentin0
2007-06-17, 08:32 PM
i installed an aftermarket mp3/wma deck in my car and use it constantly. i tried satellite radio, but the audio quality was so bad that i ripped it back out of my car even after going to all the trouble of installing it. i rip all my mp3s at minimum 192k, and they sound fairly decent. not as great as an actual cd, but pretty close.....

Arthur Dent
2007-06-18, 02:59 PM
Yes I often lay awake at night lamenting that my children will not even know what decent quality audio is or was in 10-20 years time.:(;)

The comsumers are directing the market, their are not being forced to take anything, there getting what they want.

Not really. In the era of marketing it is the advertising agencies hired by suppliers that tell consumers what they "need" through numerous sophisticated marketing channels. The consumer has much more limited input than about 50 years ago. When a new technology is adopted or dropped, some people hastily think that "the consumer has spoken", when it's actually the big businesses together with the marketing companies who have made the choice for him.
Barter, you looked at this issue from a very unexpected for me angle. I never would have actually thought to feel sorry for the future generations about anything, just glad that I was able to enjoy something that they won't. :)

Paulo
2007-06-18, 03:13 PM
"It is sad, really. CD was the pinnacle of audio formats. It's been all downhill from there. Manufacturers found out that consumers actually don't give a damn about audio quality, and pushed (and continue to push) it into the ground. It all started with 128 kbps MP3s off the Internet played on $10 PC speakers, then iPod sound on crappy $2 headphones, then came the abomination called satellite radio. Consumers are obviously willing to take it - the future is no way friendly for the audiophiles.
That being said, I fully understand why people choose convenience over quality. I also listen to MP3 (also had sat radio for some time) in the car. I just feel sad about the good old days in consumer electronics when newer meant higher quality. In 10 years, when the last analog FM stations are shut down, the new generations will not even know what decent quality audio is or was, because they never were or would be able to hear it."

My sentiments exactly Arthur... My sentiments exactly....:(

Paul

2007-06-18, 03:37 PM
CD was the pinnacle of audio formatsI would argue that good vinyl was superior to CDs, especially once CDs became mass market and were overboosted in the highs and lows to compensate for the cheap stuff they were played on. The production values on CDs were very important (much like they are today on DVDs) and many CDs simply had lousy production values.

It's pretty hard to carry around vinyl in your car, however, I made some good Dolby C tapes of my vinyl which sounded very good in my cars. I didn't even have a CD player in my cars until I was "forced" into it with my latest purchase for my wife two years ago because it didn't have a nice tape option and I didn't feel like swapping the in-dash unit, so I made some CDs on my Mac for that car.

Arthur Dent
2007-06-18, 04:11 PM
Technically speaking, DVD-Audio and SACD are the most superior audio formats ever, but they couldn't really take off, so I'm not mentioning them. As for vinyl, it is great and will always have value and staunch supporters - it is undoubtedly the pinnacle of analog audio - but it is 100% non-portable, therefore not practical enough to last. The CD is the only high quality digital format that actually became a broadly accepted standard and ruled both the high-end and portable audio markets for a very long time (and will continue to for the next few years). That's why I called it "The Pinnacle".

barter
2007-06-18, 08:24 PM
I would much rather a sd card/ipod/usb slot in my car than a cd player. Cd's are a PITA.

Jake
2007-06-19, 10:11 AM
Yeah CDs are a pain in general. I have a 5 disk CD/DVD player at home and with my wife, my children and myself competing for slots it is just to much media manipulation.

I would much rather a sd card/ipod/usb slot in my car

Plus, for the longest time I couldn't figure out why they didn't put a mini-jack input on car stereo systems. They finally got around to it after MP3 players had been around for a few years but even today it is not common. The mini-jack is universal, cheap and you can plug your laptop, your MP3 player, cell phone, etc. Hit AUX and away you go.

hugh
2007-06-19, 10:34 AM
It is sad, really. CD was the pinnacle of audio formats. It's been all downhill from there.

and

I would argue that good vinyl was superior to CDs,

You guys sound like my father! I rip all my CD's using a lossless format so I am not sacrificing sound quality.

I think the "poor" sound quality argument is premature and simply mistaken. A song ripped to an iPod at the recommended bitrate sounds fine on an iPod. It doesn't sound great on a home stereo but the average iPod user doesn't care because its the music dude.

Hell I grew up listening to AM hit radio so I'm not sure how iPod is worse than that! As a kid, I didn't appreciate "stereo" or FM but I do now and I'm sure that is true for the iPod generation.

I would imagine that as the "digital" generation gets older and buys home stereos (and flash memory players start storing a couple hundred gigs of data), the demands for higher quality recordings will increase and the trend will reverse itself.

At that point the record companies will be able to sell three files: Low, Medium and high bitrate and make a fortune!

Luis_A51
2007-06-19, 11:26 AM
I agree with hugh. I dont see this as the "end of high quality music"

The initial thought of most people when Napster was in its prime was "wow I can get all my favorite songs quickly and for free!" so sound quality wasnt that big a deal back then. And also as someone mentioned it was played back on computer speakers.

And remember the first mp3 players? I remember a friend had a 64mb player...64 megabytes!!!! People would understandably have low bitrate songs in order to save space (besides they all used crappy headphones anyways). Now with 1gig mp3 players being as cheap as $50 and players as large as 80gigs people are going to want better sound quality. Space limitations are hardly an issue now. Look how apple has released new high-quality format songs (apparently cd quality).

CD players will only dissapear once cds themselves die off virtually all together. As long as people still buy cds (as hard as that may be to believe people still do, although not me) they will still want cd players. People enjoy physical ownership, they like "having a collection", and some people see it as the only truly honest way of enjoy their favorite musicians. So unless virtually all cd stores/sections in stores die off by a 1 or 2 before that specific date, we wil continue to see cd players.

Coasterdon
2007-06-19, 11:44 AM
What's the matter with me am I getting old? I have always been a new technology adapter but I don't get this. I still buy CD's all the time. I play them in the car and at home. I like to get the whole "album". I don't get MP3's. Why should I bother downloading and copying to a cd. I don't have an MP3 player. I have absolutely no interest in having to plug in an earphone to hear my music. What am I missing here?

sailmaker
2007-06-19, 03:07 PM
These discussions pro and con reminded me of a story that made the rounds in the electronic industry many years ago. Thomas Edison invents the CD disc and recorder/player and takes it to his patent attorney and then his manufacturer. The manufacturer says no, are you crazy? First we make a cylinder out of bees' wax and play it on a spring driven, wind up machine. Then in a few years we make recordings on a flat disc made of shellac and only on one side. A new type machine will be needed to play the disc with a sharp needle in the grooves. Then when sales drop off we make 2-sided discs. Later on we will introduce recordings made on long ribbons or tapes. Someone will have to invent better amplifiers and that will make even more money for us. Sometime in the distant future we can then think about introducing these high quality discs. They are much smaller than the shellac discs so we could call them compact discs or CD's. Edison, you know diddley squat about marketing. Good thing you came to me first. Now if you will excuse me I have an appointment with a buggy maker named Henry Ford.
sailmaker

que3jxp
2007-06-19, 04:40 PM
My boggle is why, with the HUGE storage capacities we have in the last few years, have we not seen this sooner?

I mean seriously, you can buy SD cards for a joke (1GB for $20 is common place and more space than a CD provides) and USB drives are HUGE!!! With all of this storage available to us, there is no need to worry about any quality issues. Everything should be lossless and every CD deck should already have been shipping with an SD slot, a USB port and an aux jack. Maybe even a CF slot (Can you say micro drive!!!)

Matter of fact, there should have been an in-dash unit a few years ago that had a easy swap USB connected 2.5" drive so that you can just pop it out and hook it to your PC to upload music. with that, you would have been able to drag your music EVERYWHERE and also upgrade your drive size as you needed to.

And yes, CDs in the car is a PITA. I am only a weak moment away from replacing my deck with a USB/aux equipped model.