: Canada Simplifying Canadian Passport Application Process

otown47
2007-06-09, 08:03 AM
Looks like renewals will be treated differently and theres new guarantor rules...

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/newsroom/news.aspx?lang=e&page=/newsroom/20070608.aspx

As of today, the passport website does not reflect these changes.

A better link
http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/June2007/08/c2723.html

asif9t9
2007-06-10, 10:12 AM
The only advantage to being an engineer was being a guarantor at passport time. Made me feel special.

jvincent
2007-06-10, 10:17 AM
Funny, I had a "What are all those P.Eng's going to do now?" thought as well.

canad
2007-06-10, 05:56 PM
I checked the website also and it wasn't updated with this new information. I just finshed filling out my passport application & getting my picture and was waiting till the next time i see my doctor to get it signed.. Does it mean I can just get it signed by anyone now that has a passport??

jvincent
2007-06-10, 06:39 PM
The new measures don't take effect until August. The second link in the first post has more/better info.

otown47
2007-06-10, 06:51 PM
Yes, August 15th to be exact....

asif9t9
2007-06-10, 08:50 PM
P.Eng's are all over the place...at least in Ontario. Working at drive-thrus, retail. Waiters. Even some working as engineers. The only thing in common was being a guarantor for passports.

Icemann
2007-06-11, 01:38 PM
It's about time that they make the re-application process simpler than a first time application. Hopefully that will reduce the lines even further. I am still waiting for my son's passport renewal that I sent in on April 17th. I don't expect it for another couple of weeks. What a joke.

otown47
2007-06-11, 03:32 PM
A very useful piece if information......

If you use the Passport Office online application on their website (you fill it in, the sytem checks it as you go, and if its okay you get to print it out), then you get priority in the Passport Office.....you get to bypass the line. My wife was at the Passport Office at 2:00 today and was done by 2:25...there was a lineup. My neighbour said mid afternoon was a good time to go and this is true....the lines are smaller. Worst times are first thing, lunch and later in the pm.

Cool....:cool:

ryoung
2007-06-11, 04:12 PM
My wife renewed her passport in April (including the name change from our marriage).

We filled in the application form online, went to the passport office early in the day, it was packed (easily 100 people waiting) but, because we had our online application filled out and printed we were in and out in 10 minutes. She received her passport in the mail 10 days later.

hugh
2007-06-11, 04:24 PM
Otown47, that is great news. My wife needs to renew hers in the next few weeks so she'll be happy to hear that.

PhotoJim
2007-06-11, 05:36 PM
Earning above minimum wage wasn't enough for you, asif? :)

nfitz
2007-06-11, 06:06 PM
The only advantage to being an engineer was being a guarantor at passport time. Made me feel special.????

I think you picked the wrong field then! Personally, I only ever seem to about one a year. One less thing to worry about.

Personally, if they want to streamline the process, how about having passports last for 10 years. If it's okay for the USA and Britain to do their passports as 10 years, they why don't we?

nfitz - P.Eng.

ASA
2007-06-13, 04:35 PM
It's about time that they make the re-application process simpler than a first time application. Hopefully that will reduce the lines even further.

Imo it will also make getting one illegally even easier. Think about, another person with a passport can be a guarantor. Well what happens if that "other person" with a passport obtained thiers by submitting false info? That means he or she could possible do the same for others. (don't think it can't happen?)

They should of just left the way it was before. You need a passport, go and apply for one and wait. Even if you don't need one right away, you may need one in the future. Getting one now for use later on will ease the "pain" of waiting.

Icemann
2007-06-13, 05:07 PM
And you think someone couldn't falsify that they were a CA or a P.Eng quite easily?

ASA
2007-06-13, 05:30 PM
And you think someone couldn't falsify that they were a CA or a P.Eng quite easily?

How many of them are out there?

Now how many people with passports can now be a guarantor?

See my point?

I can see problems popping up. Just watch.

Icemann
2007-06-14, 11:26 AM
Personally, I don't know how much the guarantor really matters. Does the government really perform their due dilligence and check if the guarantor is either real or if they really were the one signing the application?

Quite frankly, I don't know what they do in order to "approve" you for a passport. I hope what they do do is more than look at the guarantor.