: U.S. to temporarily relax new passport rules

hugh
2007-06-08, 10:40 AM
The proposal would temporarily lift a requirement that U.S. passports be used for citizens flying to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19107675/)

The suspension should allow the State Department to catch up with a massive surge in applications that has overwhelmed passport processing centers since the rule took effect this year. The resulting backlog has caused up to three-month delays for passports and ruined or delayed the travel plans of thousands of Americans.

Gee give Passport Canada some credit, they weren't that bad!

Robobob
2007-06-08, 10:50 AM
I sent my application in on March 20. Contacted them again this week and they haven't even started with it yet. Good thing I'm not going anywhere soon. They said it can take up to 50 working days to even start the processing.

magnet
2007-06-08, 11:31 AM
It does not appear that this will help Canadians... Just Americans who need a passport.
Until the end of September, travelers will be allowed to fly without a passport if they present a State Department receipt, showing they had applied for a passport, and government-issued identification, such as a driverís license.

Those without passports would receive additional security scrutiny, which could include extra questioning or bag checks.

jacksparrow
2007-06-08, 12:00 PM
I sent my application in on March 20. Contacted them again this week and they haven't even started with it yet. Good thing I'm not going anywhere soon. They said it can take up to 50 working days to even start the processing.
If you were, there is a fast track service available.

JoeSoap
2007-06-08, 12:36 PM
I saw the announcement on cnn this morning - they said the passport was needed to travel to the various countries implying that it was the foreign powers that have made a change. No mention was made that it is a new US policy requiring a passport to return from those said countries.

I did the online passport version and took it to the local office. The online applicants get priority over those who have the paper version. Indeed, our number was the first one called even though there were about 20 people waiting already.

We were there in early May, got promised a two week delivery, and they arrived separately - one was two weeks to the day and the other the next business day. That was via the regular, ie not rush, fee.

mrhooie
2007-06-09, 12:54 AM
well, i'll let you know from personal experience.

We travelled to LA a month ago. we had applied for passports the end of January.

We did not recieve them in time for our travel and were prepared to drive frrom Calgary should we be refused entry without passports

We had a great time with US customs in Calgary and we let through producing only our Canadian birth certificates (the Manitoban government was able to get us replacements in 5 days as originals were with PassPort Canada) and our photo GNWT IDs.

With explaining our passports had not arrived, both Canadian and US border guards were more than sympatetic. We were told that less than 2% of travellers did not have a passport due to delays on both sides of the border

nfitz
2007-06-09, 01:07 AM
Wow, I got mine pretty fast. I also did mine around March 20th - and got it back about 3.5 weeks later ... about half-a-week later than they told me they would get it back. What's funny is I did my health-card renewal later the same morning ... and I didn't get my new health card a few days until after the new passport came.

Doing the application on-line seems to be the way to go - it took about 20 minutes in the big line when I got there, to get a number ... and after that, I only had to wait for one person in front of me. It must speed up the processing as well.

The new changes should help some ... though why they can't issue 10-year passports I don't know. Neither the USA or Great Britain have security concerns about issuing 10-year passports. I'm not sure why Canada gets so uptight about it.

otown47
2007-06-09, 07:57 AM
The article is for US citizens obtaining and using US passports.....it has nothing to do with Canadians. Perhaps the thread title could be changed....