: movie release comparison

LoWd0Wn
2007-05-22, 11:30 PM
I heard someone telling me today at Futureshop when I was buying some blu ray discs today that there is a site or sites that tell you which format that particular movie release came out better on. Either Blu ray or HD DVD.
Anyone know of such a site?
Thanks

james99
2007-05-22, 11:40 PM
You will be hard pressed to find any review that will state that the same movie looks better on one format than the other.

Comparisions have been done and most agree that the image looks the same.

No format is superior.

calvin940
2007-05-22, 11:59 PM
Alright.. where is the real James99 and what have you done with him!

Setitie
2007-05-23, 01:39 AM
You will be hard pressed to find any review that will state that the same movie looks better on one format than the other.

Comparisions have been done and most agree that the image looks the same.

No format is superior.
I could be wrong but I think he means by "come out better on" as to mean which sold better the HD DVD version or the Blu-Ray version of the movie. Of course I could be totally wrong.

james99
2007-05-23, 05:26 AM
Oh, perhaps you are right. A few sales figures threads exist here.

LoWd0Wn
2007-05-23, 12:38 PM
Yes that is what I mean. Not which format ( blu ray or hd dvd) is better, but which movie release was transferred better on that particular format.
I hope I am explaining that right.
I did a search and found some info on highdefdigest.com like that but from what this person told me there was a site that really broke it down to all the movie releases. He just couldn't remember the site.
I figured if anyone would know it would be here.

Thanks for your help..

Marlek
2007-05-23, 12:58 PM
As James99 indicated, most multi-format HD releases have identical image quality. At this point they are virtually all identically encoded VC-1 transfers. The only difference is the media that they are encoded on - either HD DVD or Blu-Ray.

In some instances you may have a slight advantage to one or the other for the presence or non-presence of lossless audio, but that's about it.

james99
2007-05-23, 01:23 PM
Flags of Our Fathers was done on VC-1 for HD DVD and Mpeg4 for BD.

Based upon my readings the PQ is slightly different but neither is really better just different.

Most titles on both formats are usually VC-1, this is the exception for some reason.

james99
2007-05-23, 01:26 PM
Alright.. where is the real James99 and what have you done with him!
Hey, I own both formats. Politically speaking I prefer one but technically I have no favourite (though the BD group claims superiority).

LoWd0Wn
2007-05-23, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info!!