: Tony Parsons To Retire As Global BC News Anchor; Gailus To Take Over

stampeder
2007-05-13, 03:39 PM
After anchoring BCTV's Vancouver dinner time news since 1975 and building up a massive audience (one of North America's most watched local newscasts) even after the station moved over to the Global network, Tony Parsons has announced that he will be reducing his duties to 2 nights per week with a full retirement after the 2010 Olympics. Parsons will retire to Kelowna after the Games.

In the mean time his replacement, Chris Gailus, a grad of Calgary's Mount Royal College who has anchored the news in the Calgary, Dallas, New York City, and now the Global BC markets, will be phased in to the anchor slot. Gailus is joined at Global by his wife, former CFCN Calgary news anchor Jane Carrigan.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=89c3380f-7e3c-4010-ac5c-3b6e4a9da6bd&k=75168

JohnnyCanuck
2007-05-13, 06:27 PM
Now things should get interesting. Parsons has had a virtual lock on the audience for years, but CTV Vancouver's newscast has really closed the gap in terms of quality (Pamela Martin notwithstanding). Not to mention, if the CBC really is planning on making their return to local newscasts serious, Ian Hanomansing and Gloria Macarenko are pretty solid.

Without Parsons, could there finally be a real ratings race in the Vancouver market?

insync44
2007-05-14, 04:42 AM
BCTV 6 pm News is the most popular by a very wide margin. Tony Parsons' departure will have no effect on the rating. He rarely appears nowadays anyhow. It just that people are comfortable with that station.
Bill Good at CTV suffers from overexposure. After listening to him all morning on CKNW people want a break, I feel.

stampeder
2007-05-14, 01:05 PM
CTV also banks heavily on an added factor that I think might be skewing the 6pm news market: anchors and hosts who are active in the community. Whenever there is a major social function in town it seems like Keri Adams, Bill Good, Pamela Martin, or Tamara Taggart are emceeing it. This is true of Global and CBC but not to such a noticeable extent.

As an aside, I was annoyed when CTV called their new Vancouver operation "BC CTV" because it seemed like they were deliberately trying to confuse folks who would habitually call Global "BCTV" after the big switchover.

stampeder
2009-12-15, 11:08 PM
As shown by this earlier thread, Tony Parsons has had a foot out the door for quite awhile but today parted ways with Global BC (who took over BCTV years ago) and will begin working at CHEK Victoria:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Tony+Parsons+Global+News+part+ways/2344638/story.html

danbcman
2009-12-15, 11:40 PM
For me he has been less and less on BCTV how ever the fact that he will be on more at Chek will move me over to chek at least for the news.

CHrisCHu
2009-12-16, 03:56 AM
Seems to me CTV BC has made quite some effort to try gaining more grounds in the local News market, probably more so to the younger crowd who probably don't know much about Tony Parsons but more about CTV's upgrade to real HD. Sure somebodies will say "news is news who cares about HD?" But if everything else is the same why watch SD when you can watch HD?

Now of course the "if" in the last sentence could be a big IF. Not all news channels are unbiased. For example, this past summer when the city executed the bicycle-only lane on Burard St. bridge on the first business day, I watched 3 local TV stations reported the effect on rush-hour traffic. At least one station showed aerial images of cars lining up to cross the bridge, but one station showed aerial images of the few cars already on the bridge and said that there was little impact to the traffic.

Perhaps my only gripe about CTV BC news is Bill Good saying "OK" all the time after anybody else finishing a piece of news. Can he say something else like "Thanks Coleen" or not say anything at all?

I don't recall CTV mention "BC CTV". They seem to always say "CTV BC", which I thought was specifically not to confuse with BCTV.

shawdirect
2009-12-16, 06:10 AM
Tony's voice barely works any more. Time for retirement.
Chris G. should be doing Kevin's job IMHO.

stampeder
2009-12-16, 11:44 AM
Agreed, Chris Gailus has done a great job taking over Tony's chair. I'm not sure if Gailus's wife, Jane, is still a Global reporter.

When Tony Parsons comes on this spring on CHEK I think it will be a natural reflex for many people to tune him in there. I wonder if Tony will be moving to Victoria or doing his newscast from a Lower Mainland set?

danbcman
2009-12-16, 11:57 AM
That is the real interesting part of this change as there were plans to have a lot of the HD news editing for chek done at chan this was prior to the chek changing ownership. I think myself there will be a real story in how check moves forward as a news source and even more how it begins to re shape itself as a contender not just locally but accoss its broadcast area will it handle OTA DTV or will it have to go right to the last min for that?

MAXAM
2009-12-16, 09:11 PM
My wife and I grew up on the Island (Saanich) but I don't think we will be watching CHEK News when and if Tony becomes the 6 pm anchor. Although we've enjoyed his delivery every night on CHAN for the past 35 years, we would rather watch local Metro Vancouver stories than say a Victoria car accident at the corner of Yates and Douglas or a series of break-ins on Cook St. etc. CKNW relief talk show moderator, Michael Smyth, was speculating on the Bill Good Show today that there might be a ratings war when Tony moves to CHEK as he would be in direct competition with his former station but I don't think CHAN will lose a great deal of their 6 pm News audience as they have a great team at Global BC and people like to see local news.IMHO

stampeder
2010-01-23, 03:29 PM
Confirmation that Tony Parsons has invested in CHEK and will be appearing on that station beginning in March:Because Parsons is still under contract with Global until the end of February, none of the parties wanted to make an announcement until yesterday.http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Parsons+greets+CHEK+workers/2467365/story.html

http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=dd0817e9-6ce9-4ce8-930a-6a0ebca5069b

Given the recent spate of unemployment in BC's telejournalist ranks, not to mention the possibility of some local CanWest newspapers being sold off or shut down, I wonder if other journalists will be following him there? CHEK could position itself as a very serious contender as the "BC television news authority" by focusing tightly on that goal.

danbcman
2010-01-23, 03:45 PM
I too believe that if they are able to intise a couple of well known quality reporters and re focus on quality political and local news segments and throw in a good quality OTA DTV setup it would be / could be the returning to the time when stories by Webster, Parsins, and Duffy really were the real deal not this canned crap we are being spoon fed these days.