: Movie Central Express - More choices needed

crazycanuck
2007-05-10, 12:15 PM
I tried MC Express for about 2 weeks but cancelled it due to the fact that not all movies were available on demand. It got me to thinking, why doesn't MC just charge a flat rate of xxxx per month and have their entire library for the month available as an on demand service. I am not sure if this is even possible but I think it would be an excellent marketing tool.
I was paying Shaw an extra 5.99 for MC Express on top of the $18 for regular Movie Central and really didn't mind the extra cost, it was the limited choices that made me cancel express.

Thoughts??

ringmaster
2007-05-14, 08:39 PM
Rogers has all their titles on demand(TMN) PLUS its FREE

shaw is a joke plain and simple

JohnnyCanuck
2007-05-14, 09:36 PM
Neither TMN nor ROD is free. Please be factual.

RogersOnDemand movies are generally $5.99 each although there is a limited selection of some older movies available at no charge. TMN is $15/month or bundled with Rogers. Shaw doesn't offer the limited free selection but Rogers doesn't offer a $5.99 subscription package like MCE.

oilblue
2007-05-15, 01:52 PM
Slow down. :) From a quick look at Rogers site, it appears that a subscription to TMN includes "The Movie Network OnDemand". If that's accurate, I think Ringmaster's point is that Rogers doesn't charge for their MCE equivalent.

Bottom line, TMN out performs MC. Again.

crazycanuck
2007-05-15, 05:44 PM
hmmmmmm. Since Rogers offers what I am talking about that means from a technical standpoint Shaw should be able to do the same? Or is this a Movie Central issue?

JohnnyCanuck
2007-05-15, 05:58 PM
Requires a sub to TMN so it is not free. That was my point.

I think it is an MC issue. TMNOnDemand and MCE appear to be very different products. MCE holds no interest for me, but an MCOnDemand along the lines of what TMN is doing (akin to HBO or Showtime's US OnDemand products) would be very interesting.

oilblue
2007-05-15, 08:04 PM
Uh, Johnny, please be factual. :) Only kidding. This is getting confusing. What used to be called "Movie Central Express" is now called "Movie Central On Demand." (http://www.shaw.ca/vod/mce.htm) (note the "mce.htm" in that url). Unfortunately, it pales in comparison to TMN OnDemand:
TMN subscription includes TMNOD. MCOD is an extra fee ($5.99) above and beyond an MC subscription
ringmaster indicated that TMNOD includes *all* of TMN's titles. That doesn't appear to be the case (see here (http://www.themovienetwork.ca/ondemand/faq.php)). In a similar fashion, MCOD is a subset of MC titles.

So, it doesn't look like either movie "channel" in Canada offers an OnDemand service that mirrors their full title set--the main thing crazycanuck was looking for. Probably means it's a technical issue...or a rights fee issue.

Then there's the fee. Unfortunately, as western consumers, we're stuck with MC...even though TMN continues to widen the gap.

JohnnyCanuck
2007-05-15, 08:42 PM
I get the kidding part. I wasn't saying that the TMN On Demand product wasn't better, in fact, I think it is better (for example reshowings of first run series). I was just challenging the free comment.

But, this is very difficult to compare in an apples to apples format. The complete MC bundle, including all six channels (four SD and 2 HD) and MC "On Demand" is $21.98/month. The same package on Rogers (all the TMN channels including HD) are $22.99/month with On Demand included. If all you want is On Demand and TMN, Rogers is only $15.99 ... but bundle to bundle, Shaw's a buck cheaper.

crazycanuck
2007-05-16, 11:23 AM
One last thing :D. When I had MC on Demand you had to order through your PC - you couldn't do it from your remote like a regular PPV or Shaw on Demand movie. Not a big deal but a bit of a pain. How does it work on the Rogers side of things?

smegger2000
2007-05-16, 01:42 PM
Movie Central on Demand is free in Saskatchewan....for some reason. Never bothered to sign up for it though.

ringmaster
2007-05-17, 09:24 PM
From a quick look at Rogers site, it appears that a subscription to TMN includes "The Movie Network OnDemand". If that's accurate, I think Ringmaster's point is that Rogers doesn't charge for their MCE equivalent.

Thank You

Johnny knew thats what i meant he was just acting like a shaw fanboy

ringmaster
2007-05-17, 09:29 PM
Movie Central on Demand is free in Saskatchewan....for some reason. Never bothered to sign up for it though

I noticed.:mad:

So I guess its Shaw charging the $5.99 to BC/Alberta and not MC.

Off Topic: I also noticed in your province Access offers NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings. I AM SHOCKED. Shaw doesn't offer either and they are a MUCH bigger company with WAY MORE SUBS.

crazycanuck
2007-05-18, 12:14 AM
Ringmaster, I couldn't believe that Access had CI and MLB EI either! When I questioned this to anyone from Shaw who would listen all I got was the B.S. that they would lose $$ if the carried them:mad:

oilblue
2007-05-18, 06:21 PM
Seems reasonable that a smaller network is easier to upgrade than a huge one (i.e. sufficient bandwidth). How many communities does Access serve?

JohnnyCanuck
2007-05-18, 11:34 PM
For the record, Shaw's official position has never been they would lose money ... it has been that they would not make enough money to justify the carriage.

If you want to discuss CI or EI please feel free to do so in the other threads on the subject. Let's try and keep this one focussed on MCE and OnDemand.