: Audio quality on HDNet

supervij
2007-05-09, 03:20 PM
Just curious about this. I notice they've had some movies on lately like Top Gun and Days of Thunder, flicks that likely have pretty kick-*ss audio on the DVD. But how does the DTS track on the Top Gun DVD (for example) compare with the Dolby Digital track on the Top Gun broadcast on HDNet?

I know that the video quality will be excellent on HDNet (it always is), but what about the audio? Would it compare favourably? Anyone hazard a guess?

cheers,
supervij

2007-05-09, 04:15 PM
The audio mix may be different from the DVD. I've found that most DVDs have more LFE. This may be the mix (most consumers probably don't have the best equipment, therefore the LFE could be "boosted", or it could be that studios use Dolby-E (or whatever, when the tape is sent to the broadcaster) instead of DD5.1.

Last week Apocalypse Now Redux was on and the explosions were lacking compared to my recently purchased DVD. I've noticed this on several HD movies on several networks - TMN-HD, etc. I believe that others have noticed the same. If it's a movie I really care about, I simply raise my subwoofer level.

I've found that there is quite a bit of bass (or LFE) on Nat. Geo HD programming and that it's all been remixed to DD5.1... I don't know how this is done, but they seem to do a good job most of the time.

supervij
2007-05-09, 10:23 PM
Thanks for your impressions, 57. Interesting about the bass levels. I wonder why that is, though. Is there some limitation with transmitting low frequencies? Or do they figure that most people are using their TV speakers and so will never hear it? At any rate, I'll consider boosting my sub level when I'm watching in the future.

What about surrounds? Have you ever found that a movie on DVD that has great use of surround simply didn't when that same movie was broadcast? Maybe it's just my imagination, but I sometimes feel like surround usage is minimal, with just about everything steered to the front three speakers. What do you think?

cheers,
supervij

2007-05-10, 12:05 AM
I haven't noticed a lack of surround much, but it may be worth comparing a DVD to the movie on an HD channel.

Another movie where the sound wasn't as "robust" was "War of the Worlds" which was recently on TMN-HD. (The sequence from about 15-30 minutes into the movie)

It may just be "production values" of the particular medium. For example, tune to many FM stations and you're likely to hear overboosted bass and treble, when compared to the same music on CD, which may be different from vinyl (and not due to any limitations of the medium).

supervij
2007-05-10, 03:14 PM
Comparing it to a DVD is something I'd like to do, if I finally can find an HD movie playing that I already have on DVD. No luck so far.

I just have the feeling that the only way we're gonna get stellar video AND stellar audio is on disc. Aside from the TV show Numb3rs (not on HDNet), I haven't been knocked out by the surround sound of many shows. The audio on most shows is just okay, but the surround sound on most of them are not terribly impressive.

Anyway, thanks for your impressions, 57.

cheers,
supervij

2007-05-10, 03:37 PM
If you're really interested, it only costs a few $ to rent a movie, so next time something with lots of surround sound, and LFE is on, simply rent the same movie to compare....

With the DVR and the Oppo both hooked up, you should be able synch up the movies and switch audio on the AVR - video need not be switched.

Zero G
2007-05-10, 03:55 PM
I find the audio to be very good when watching Nothing But Trailers.

2007-05-10, 04:07 PM
Agreed, good point Zero G. I wonder whether they "boost" the audio for those?

Zero G
2007-05-10, 04:13 PM
It's definitely noticeable. I'm always having to adjust the volume when watching it in the evening.