: History, Starz, HITS Join HD Party

james99
2007-05-07, 06:53 PM
Las Vegas -- Networks’ migration to the HD format continues apace with a spate of services announcing service launches.

The History Channel HD will take its first public step into the enhanced format in September, when the 24-hour service bows on DirecTV. The new service will simulcast the network’s entire lineup of original, nonfiction programming and specials. (http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6439832.html)

SensualPoet
2007-05-07, 07:15 PM
History Canada is on the drawing board here but no announcements yet. With capacity at a premium for satellite, and tight for cablecos, HC will have to convince TV providers that they are really going to have significant HD content form the get-go. No one is going to tolerate the dismal start-ups as shown by The Score and A&E. Showcase and National Geographic are better, but not exactly in the "wow" category yet thanks to too much SD on the channel.

bigoranget
2007-05-07, 07:50 PM
I think Canadian's should be allowed to have access to the US History Channel or at least History Channel International. The Canadian one has some historical programming but much of the content is science and technology and fictional dramatic series such as JAG and CSI New York. Many of their movies are also fiction as well.

But of course because they do have 20% of actual history programming, the real History Channel is blocked.

james99
2007-05-07, 07:59 PM
History Television is a horrible channel.

jacksparrow
2007-05-07, 08:42 PM
I beg your pardon? Checkout this listing for today

http://www.historyinternational.com/global/listings/listings.jsp?NetwCode=HCI

james99
2007-05-07, 09:42 PM
Your comment was intended for who?

SensualPoet
2007-05-08, 09:38 PM
For the umpteenth time ... channels like History, and their partners History Canada, have different programming because the US Parent channel did not BOTHER to obtain rights to the Canadian market and chose to save money, or sell rights to their own programs, to other vendors.

The Canadian versions have very modest CanCon rules, and some of the programming on the US channels already qualify. The issue is ONLY that rights to broadcast content in Canada was not purchased by the US channel in the first place.

Blame History, HGTV, etc etc; not the CRTC. HDNET is a classic example: tons of "episodic TV series" isn't shown here because they already sold the rights to A-Channel (which CAN'T offer HD) to show in SD without bothering to obtain HD rights in Canada. So the programs can't be seen here.

bigoranget
2007-05-08, 09:52 PM
For the umpteenth time ... channels like History, and their partners History Canada, have different programming because the US Parent channel did not BOTHER to obtain rights to the Canadian market and chose to save money, or sell rights to their own programs, to other vendors.

I don't think you know what your talking about. History Television is NOT a Canadian version of The History Channel. The History Channel US doesn't even own any percentage of History Television. The only "relationship" between the two stations is the fact that Alliance Atlantis buys some of the programming from A&E Networks (owners of The History Channel).

It has nothing to do with "The History Channel" not bothering to obtain rights in Canada, it's the fact that Alliance Atlantis (owners of History Television) are too cheap to produce good programming and to buy enough programming to make their channel even the list bit entertaining.

Plus there is also the fact that History Television is licenced as History and Entertainment Network...so it's not 100% history (in fact I'd say it's probably more like 50% or less).

This is why I say that at the very least we should have History Channel International. It will compliment History Television very nicely.

Luckily I can get The History Channel by other means plus I have been able to purchase many of their programs on DVD because they ship to Canada.