: Jim O'Connell - BNN Anchor and friend passes away

Stoakley Audio
2007-05-04, 01:00 PM
Hello all,

I'm not sure how many people who read this forum also watch the Business News Network (BNN) but for those of you who have not heard yet, Senior News Anchor Jim O'Connell passed away last night at the age of 48 from colon cancer.

Here is the link to the press release from BNN http://www.bnn.ca/jim-oconnell/ as well as a short video tribute.

I had the pleasure of working with Jim at BNN for over 7 years till just this past January when I left to rejoin the freelance audio world. Jim was a first class, professional journalist who will be sorely missed Every morning at 9:29am when he would take to the anchor chair I would get in his ear to say "Hi Jim. You've got me?" He would always respond "Yes sir. All good. Let's have a great show... and that's an order!"

I will truly miss him and it's a great loss to the professional on-air content of BNN.

I'll be raising a wee nip of the dram in his honour tonight... I hope you will too.

Cheers,

Andrew

otown47
2007-05-04, 07:48 PM
They did a story on him on the news tonight......he got his start at CJOH. They showed him doing the news from many many years ago and some other funny things.

Jim died of colon cancer....had yours checked lately ?????

Stoakley Audio
2007-05-04, 09:05 PM
Absolutely Otown,

He started by playing country records as a disc jockey and started at CJOH shortly after.

They went to commerical with emails from viewers and co-workers. They did a nice job... Jim would have been embarrased with all the attention.

Cheers.