: Global-HD Heroes: bars all around

Pages : [1] 2

wprager
2007-04-25, 12:33 AM
I recorded last night's Heroes using the Global-HD feed. Watched it tonight and was letter-and-pillar boxed all around. PQ was also not very good. WTH? Did anyone experience the same? Did anyone record it on the NBC-HD feed -- what was it like? NBC shows it later, so it should not be sim-subbed.

Mole
2007-04-25, 07:45 AM
NBC was pretty much perfect.

kibosh
2007-04-25, 04:18 PM
Ya Global sucks. Last night House was in SD, not HD.

omneon
2007-04-25, 06:36 PM
Does anybody know if it was also this way on BEV.

Just trying to get an idea where to point fingers.

jumpy27
2007-04-25, 06:56 PM
I would point fingers at Global. The NBC HD West feed on Bell was in HD. Next week record it on the NBC HD feed.

supervij
2007-04-25, 10:05 PM
GlobalHD also airs Gilmore Girls in SD for some reason. I've learned to stay away from GlobalHD no matter what!

cheers,
supervij

omneon
2007-04-26, 12:13 PM
I would point fingers at Global. The NBC HD West feed on Bell was in HD. Next week record it on the NBC HD feed.

The point is, if the program was OK on BEV, then Global is not to blame.
Rodgers should be answering the questions.

2007-04-26, 12:48 PM
The OP was recording Global. What has this got to do with Rogers? I could understand if a simsub were screwed up, but that was not the case here.

Global aired the programme improperly (apparently) and NBC aired it correctly.

Except for Fox 531 which has known issues and Jeopardy on CTV, which they show in HD while the ABC affiliates we get do not, I see no reason not to record the "originating" channel.

omneon
2007-04-26, 04:18 PM
Does anybody know if it was also this way on BEV.

Just trying to get an idea where to point fingers.

I guess this question was too difficult, it's easier to just assume where the fault is, as to dig for details.

thanks anyway

romstah
2007-04-27, 08:34 AM
yeah it was the same on bev

Stan Dev
2007-04-27, 02:31 PM
Except for Fox 531 which has known issues and Jeopardy on CTV, which they show in HD while the ABC affiliates we get do not, I see no reason not to record the "originating" channel.

In cases where you cannot avoid a simsub (by time-shifting or whatever), might it sometimes be better to record the Canadian channel rather than the originating channel, in order to avoid the glitches caused when the cableco/satco switches the simsub in and out? For at least one PVR (BEV 9200), those glitches sometimes cause problems with playback of recorded shows.

2007-04-27, 03:06 PM
Stan Dev, you could be correct. This is especially true if you "know" that the Canadian channel is "OK most of the time". However, if your experience is the opposite, then my suggestion stands.

Each programme seems to have its own unique history and only you can gauge what is the best approach - currently if you've got the timeshifts, that's usually the best approach.

oilblue
2007-04-27, 05:04 PM
The point is, if the program was OK on BEV, then Global is not to blame.
Rodgers should be answering the questions.

Uh, remember that Global has "difficulty" airing non-simsub HD. Well, they have problems with HD period...I'll try to stay on topic though. If a program is airing on either an East or West coast US HD feed at the same time Global airs it, Global is "OK" (well, they downgrade the HD quality, but that's a different problem). If Global is airing it at a time that's off by even a few minutes from both the East and West US feeds, they've consistently been unable broadcast it in HD. Several threads on this problem (e.g. American Idol going a few minutes over means that House starts late...it's HD on Fox, but not on Global).

The original poster indicated this was not a simsub situation, so it's entirely plausible the problem originated with Global. More than likely in fact.

To avoid these problems in the future, the number one rule is to avoid Global HD. Given their aggressiveness pushing simsubs, that's not as easy as it sounds.

tat2
2007-04-29, 10:26 AM
Only part of the program was pillarboxed, I remeber it switching to HD part way through.

I would record Heros on NBC HD except for the fact that american nets always dragout the show & my recordings end up cutting out anwhere between a couple seconds up to a minute or two. I would modify the PVR to record longer but that isn't possible with all the other shows I have recording.

When ever I rec on the CDN net it never cuts off.

wprager
2007-04-30, 09:26 AM
Last year the Canadian feeds were always 60 minutes, but then they changed and the programs now run the same 62-65 minutes. Until Rogers(TVGuide Canada EPG data)/SA(PVR software) fix the problem we will continue having issues. I hate setting up recording weekly, but that seems to be the only workaround available.

Really, how difficult is it to provide padding? Add x minutes before or after the "advertized" start/stop times? Don't try to fix the times, just add two more variables for each recording to start earlier and/or end later than the time shown in the EPG. It's just software.

Haryi99Si
2007-05-01, 08:21 AM
Same thing last night on Bell ! damnit ! the show is airing 1hour previous to the NBC feed because Global has 24 at 21:00.

Do you know were we can complains ? do we send mail to the CRTC, 2 times in a row they do that !!! and to make things worst... During the first break, Bell advertise that we can watch this show in HD if we have proper equipement !!! ironic don't you think !

Grrrrrrr !

Lindsay649
2007-05-01, 12:18 PM
Global must only have one HD playback machine in Toronto as they seem to lack the ability to record any HD programs. They must have at least one unit as they do broadcast a few HD commercials from time to time.

2007-05-01, 12:55 PM
You need to complain to Global. They are the ones that are not able to supply an HD programme if it's not on at EXACTLY the same time as it's on the US channel, as discussed previously in this thread and many other Global threads.

scampbell
2007-05-01, 02:15 PM
I seem to recall seeing an ad during the show that said if I had expressvu, I could be watching this in HD. I have rogers and it wasn't in HD.

2007-05-01, 02:50 PM
I have rogers and it wasn't in HD.
The service provider has nothing to do with whether you see Global HD in true HD. If the service provider carries Global HD, then you'll get what Global puts out.

If Global provides an HD programme then you'll see it. If they don't, you won't. That's pretty clear isn't it?

You've got to stop watching the marketing and understand how things work.