: NASA TV approved for Canada

Pages : [1] 2

magnet
2007-04-20, 02:50 PM
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Notices/2007/pb2007-43.htm

NASA Television is an English-language, free-to-air, public television service originating from the United States featuring documentaries, archival programming, and coverage of NASA missions and events.

hugh
2007-04-20, 02:50 PM
Gee now all the FTA pirates won't have an excuse to get FTA ;)

james99
2007-04-20, 04:13 PM
When exactly was it unapproved?

Used to watch it years ago on Mountain Cable in Hamilton. Not sure if they still have it.

nfitz
2007-04-20, 04:36 PM
It was Mountain who made the application. In the past the CRTC has approves Nasa TV for short periods of time, when a Canadian astronaut has been flying. Perhaps you saw it then? If not, perhaps they were not in compliance.

magnet
2007-04-20, 04:38 PM
It was on Shaw Calgary in 2000, but got bumped for bandwidth, like the old Calgary Airport Arrivals and departures channel.

shawguy
2007-04-20, 07:26 PM
Yeah it used to be on channel 53 here in Winnipeg and we lost in 2000 also, before that we had it most of the time. - Hopefully we get it again.

Shawguy

gbamber
2007-04-20, 07:48 PM
I will never forget watching Challenger explode live on NASA TV.

Cap
2007-04-20, 09:48 PM
I remember challenger, but i thought it was live on network tv.....I was home from school that day..

nfitz
2007-04-21, 12:02 AM
Challenger was live on all sorts of places that day - it was a high-profile launch because it was the teacher in space mission - so a lot of school children were in assemblies watching the launch live.

I was living in Indonesia at the time - and listened to the NPR (National Public Radio) broadcast over VOA (Voice of America) on shortwave (there really wasn't that much to do over there in the evening - this was before we had a VCR, and the TV only broadcast 1-hour a day in English). It was quite odd listening to it on radio - at first the commentators were saying on how clearly they could see the SRB separation - probably because it was such a cold day - and then the Nasa commentator mentioned the loss of downlink - and it went very quiet - just the Nasa voice for a while. It was weird following the story in those pre-Internet days. It took 36 hours just to get a newspaper that had the story!

JoeSoap
2007-04-21, 05:53 AM
Challenger was not shown on live network tv as by then launches had become routine/boring. CNN (or some other cable channel) were still showing live launches.

I recall that a game show was on when they cut away and said the shuttle had exploded. They then showed the launch (but didn't say how long before the explosion was) and I can remember watching so intently waiting for the explosion that I didn't blink my eyes untit I felt them hurting - the one and only time I've ever done that.

99gecko
2007-04-21, 12:12 PM
It was shown on live network tv. I watched it live, and we didn't have cable at that time. It might have been on an Amercian network however picking up the feed, and re-transmitting.

gretzky
2007-04-21, 02:40 PM
it is about time that this channel (available free to air) is coming to canada
something i don't get is that its free to air so you can get it with fta receiver
but why is that channel has to be approved by crtc if its allready free ?

Walter Dnes
2007-04-21, 05:05 PM
something i don't get is that its free to air so you can get it with fta receiver but why is that channel has to be approved by crtc if its allready free ?
Because big brother knows what's good for you, and has to approve everything you watch on cable/satellite. For those of you with broadband there's always http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html But it obviously doesn't look too good on a 50 inch display.

Boavista
2007-04-22, 09:33 PM
Yea they do!... GolTv is still FTA lol

Hopesmore
2007-04-24, 07:21 PM
Great news. I remember Shaw's Senior VP, Peter Bissonnette, asking his cable customers in January 1999 to lobby the CRTC to permit Shaw to carry NASA TV. This means that it's taken only eight years for the CRTC to understand that NASA TV poses no threat to Canadian sovereignty or cultural identity. Meanwhile we've been "permitted" to enjoy the Shopping Channel and other mind-broadening content. No wonder science education is such a challenge. 8-(

I hope we see NASA TV being offered on Shaw cable Real Soon Now - and thank you to Peter, Mountain Cable, and the others who have some appreciation for content better than shopping for junk.

IMHO, NASA TV has startlingly low production values - it's almost amateur in its presentation - but at least we don't get the Main Stream Media's "talking heads" interpreting the picture and add layers of misinformation. I used to watch the BBC's James Burke trying to explain the Apollo missions to the Brits - and cringe at each inaccuracy he spouted as "fact". With NASA TV I can listen to Launch/Mission Control directly and make my own assessment free of dumbed-down commentary and station breaks.

Arthur Dent
2007-04-27, 03:50 PM

Hm, and what would be the advantages of watching it on paid cable service rather than free on FTA? :)

shawguy
2007-11-25, 02:06 PM
Does anyone think we will ever see this added on Shaw?

technut
2007-11-27, 12:34 AM
How could you have any doubt?I remember Shaw's Senior VP, Peter Bissonnette, asking his cable customers in January 1999 to lobby the CRTC to permit Shaw to carry NASA TV.Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2007-43
Ottawa, 20 April 2007
Addition of NASA Television to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis

4. The Commission received thirteen comments in response to Public Notice 2006-126. The following parties supported the request: (1) Campbell River TV, (2) the Canadian Cable Systems Alliance Inc. (CCSA), (3) Delta Cable Communications Ltd. and Coast Cable Communications Ltd., (4) Eastlink, (5) Norcom Telecommunications Ltd., (6) Quebecor Media Inc., (7) Rogers Cable Communications Inc., and (8) Shaw Communications Inc. (on behalf of Star Choice Television Network Incorporated and Shaw Cablesystems). The Commission also received supporting comments from educators and individuals.It's not like Shaw to make empty promises, is it? To say one thing and do another? To drag their feet? lol

It's only been 7 months. If you ask a CSR they'll probably reassure you that Shaw is aware how important this type of programming is, and that they plan to start carrying it just in time for us to watch NASA missions to Theiranus. That's a real planet name, right? ;)

SMCKINNON24
2007-12-28, 12:18 PM
When is NASA Tv coming to Canada to be on Rogers ?

westernarticfan
2007-12-28, 08:02 PM
Nasa tv is good for one thing the launches and thats it.