: Movie Central Change in Schedule Format

crazycanuck
2007-04-16, 05:03 PM
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere but I just noticed that Movie Central has changed the format of the schedules. Looks nice and the links to get the movie synopsis works again!
www.moviecentral.ca

ihdtv
2007-04-16, 05:30 PM
That is MUCH better than they've had up till now. I'll send them an email and let them know I like it. Way to go Movie Central. :D

ihdtv

atari8472
2007-04-16, 06:25 PM
looks better, but what's up with all the "Premieres" ? (Brotherhood, Six Feet Under, Rome ?!?!)

FortMacDude
2007-04-16, 06:35 PM
The online schedule is a huge improvement but the printable schedules I find are way harder to read.

The other thing I miss is the alphabetical list of movies that used to be on the right hand side of the page. They have a movie title search feature but no browsing by alphabet feature..I sure liked that on the old site.

jvillain
2007-04-16, 08:23 PM
Much better

smegger2000
2007-04-16, 08:47 PM
And I just wrote them an email this weekend complaining about the website. Guess I'll have to write a new one thanking them for the new setup, but maybe letting them know about what could still be better.

Just looking at the daily schedules and it seems to be out by 1 day, Inside Man was on April 13th but it says its on the 14th. Same with United 93, it will be on April 20th but schedule says April 21st. The printable schedule is correct though.

JesseJ
2007-04-16, 10:55 PM
When I search for a movie, and it tells me when it's on, and then I click on the little calendar on the right, the movie isn't there for that day. I guess thats what smegger said in the previous post.

Edit: I search for Da Vinci Code, heres what I get:
Channel Time Date
MC1 8:00 PM May 19, 2007
HD1 8:00 PM May 19, 2007
MC2 11:15 PM May 19, 2007

Now I can't find it on May 19, 8pm..it comes up American Dreamz. I don't see Da Vinci on the 18th, but it's on the 20th...

gbamber
2007-04-17, 01:07 AM
It is off by one day... look for April 17 movies on April 18, and so forth.

It is soooooo nice to be able to set it for Pacific time.

Also nice to have back the Final showing symbol.

oilblue
2007-04-17, 05:21 AM
If it was accurate, this would be great. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be the least bit accurate. Considering it's taken months to get this far, I'm not impressed. At all.

Problems: calendar date picker is "off by a day" as already noted by others. This is probably because their interpretation of a day goes from 6:00 AM to 6:00 AM Mountain. Given that we're currently observing daylight time, Mountain is GMT-6. Hmmm. Looks as though we're supposed to make date selections based on GMT. So much for the timezone customization.
search by title doesn't seem to work: Searched for "Sopranos". Only results for HD1 & HD2 were returned, even though it airs on MC1 and MC4. Searched specifically on MC1, and it claims it's not found. Same for MC4.
Another search anomaly: channel filter in search doesn't match channel filter in synopsis dialog. Search for a title on a given channel (e.g. "Click" on HD2). Then click on the movie title in the results (in this case, "Click"). An all caps synopsis appears (ok), which includes the air dates...on MC3...
after filtering the search results to a particular channel, all subsequent date selections also filter results to that channel. That's nice and all...but there's no way to reset it without performing another text/title search. The date picker search should allow filtering and reseting of filters without performing a text search.
no episode number indicator for Sopranos search results or printed schedule. Only exception is HD programming. For example, click on the 9th (to get the schedule for the 8th), Sopranos listed @ 9:00 on MC1 and HD1. Only HD1 indicates the episode number. Or search on "Entourage". MC1 results are shown without episode number.
"P" code for "premiere" is a tad optimistic. Again on the 9th (which is really the sched. for the 8th), the following premieres are listed for MC: The Wire
Sahara
The World's Fastest Indian
FBI: Negotiator
The Dukes of Hazzard
Two for the Money
Marebito
Pretty Persuasion
Sahara 5.1 Ltr
Masters of Horror Ep. #16
Slings & Arrows #14
Regenesis Eps. #29
The Sopranos Eps #78
Entourage #35
All those premieres, just on the 9th...er, 8th! Wow. :rolleyes:
The "F" indicator for "final" is also completely bunk on their current site. A couple examples: Entourage #35. It's listed as premiering on the 9th, along with its "final" showing @ 4:30 AM. Maybe it's just me, but that seems rather quick.
Sopranos #78 is in a similar boat ("final" showing on HD1 on the 14th of April...or is that the 13th?), after premiering on the 8th. One week. Don't go away for a week, you'll miss an episode! :rolleyes:
"X Men: The Last Stand" premieres (for real) on the 12th of May (an honest to goodness "P"). Yet the "final" showing is only a couple weeks later, on the 28th. This time click on 28th of May...don't ask why the date is accurate this time. :rolleyes: An "F" is displayed for the 4:00 AM time slot...

As others have posted, I miss the full alphabetical search. The text search is nice, but it's no replacement for the full list.

The format is improved in other respects...if the accuracy is addressed. Until then, the "P" and "F" indicators are completely useless, the date picker is a puzzle, and the web site remains broken (as it's been since November). I'd really like to know how it's taken so long to reach this sorry state.

Neild
2007-04-17, 09:55 AM
Between the errors and the sloppy layout, the schedule is nearly useless.
I preferred the older old site, the one from about 7-8 months ago.

crazycanuck
2007-04-17, 10:48 AM
I didn't dig into the workings of the site like you guys have. Seems to be a lot of problems with it which is too bad. Did anyone send an email to Movie Central about the issues yet?

Gord Lacey
2007-04-17, 02:50 PM
I think the P and F tags are tied to the first and last airings of a movie/show in a given month. Obviously this isn't correct, but they're aware of the issue.

I think this is a good step forward, they just need to work out a few of the bugs. Things like the timezone not being set properly is a pain, but shouldn't be that hard to fix. I'd also like to see the alphabetical list returned to the site.

I've forwarded this thread to someone at Movie Central, and I'm sure she'll make everyone aware of the issues.

Gord
P.S. I love that we can look at May's schedule already!

smegger2000
2007-04-17, 03:18 PM
I'm glad that we can see May's listing already too.....but not happy that I don't see Mission Impossible 3 on it. It's a Paramount release, and we have gotten HD showings of other Paramount release such as Elizabethtown, Bad News Bears, Four Brothers, Longest Yard etc.

Maybe it's a Tom Cruise thing, since we didn't get War of the Worlds and that's a Paramount release too :)

And of course TMN-HD out east gets it.

ihdtv
2007-04-17, 03:32 PM
If it was accurate, this would be great. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be the least bit accurate. Considering it's taken months to get this far, I'm not impressed. At all.

oilblue ... This is a very detailed post with good feedback that MC needs to know. You should send this list of concerns to them in addition to Gord Lacey's communication to MC. Nice detective work finding all that stuff.

ihdtv

Gord Lacey
2007-04-17, 04:10 PM
ihdtv, Movie Central people have a link to this thread, so they should see anything that's posted here.

Gord

Gord Lacey
2007-05-09, 06:18 PM
I spoke to my friend over at MC and she told me they had a meeting with the web guys yesterday, and there will be an update to the MC website in the next 2-4 weeks which should fix the concerns people have with the new format.

Gord

crazycanuck
2007-05-10, 10:18 AM
That's great Gord! Thanks for the news.

crazycanuck
2007-05-10, 05:21 PM
Hi all,
I just went to the MC website and you change time zones now. I was able to switch from Mountain to Central! Glad that MC is listening to us.:)