: Bill Moyers Returns April 25 to PBS with "Buying The War"

england
2007-04-13, 03:01 PM
Bill Moyers has put together an amazing 90-minute video documenting the lies that the Bush administration told to sell the Iraq war to the American public, with a special focus on how the media led the charge. I've watched an advance copy and read a transcript, and the most important thing I can say about it is: Watch PBS from 9:00 to 10:30 PM on Wednesday, April 25. Spending that 90 minutes will actually save you time because you'll never watch television news again - not even on PBS, which comes in for its own share of criticism.http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/041207D.shtml

jvillain
2007-04-13, 07:51 PM
The tragic thing is that columnists like Eric Margolis and Gwynne Dyer were blowing holes in all of this intelligence information before the war started. Some of the evidence they were presenting and was being backed by members in the CIA and other agencies was jaw dropping and proved absoluty what the Bush administration was doing was flat out lying. There was the chance to stop this but the rest of the media wanted a war.And the most fantastic stories of all were fed to David Rose at Vanity Fair Magazine. We see a clip of him saying, "The last training exercise was to blow up a full-size mock-up of a US destroyer in a lake in central Iraq."<cough>

The first casualty of war is truth...

stampeder
2007-04-15, 02:53 PM
PBS press release about the April 25 program:The premiere of BILL MOYERS JOURNAL, “Buying the War,” explores the role of the press in the lead-up to the invasion of Iraq, including how the government’s claims about weapons of mass destruction and terrorist ties to Saddam Hussein were largely accepted at face value by the mainstream media and cheer-leaded by the “partisan press.” The marketing of the war has been much examined, but BILL MOYERS JOURNAL looks at how key elements of the media bought into the propaganda. “Buying the War” features interviews with Dan Rather, formerly of CBS; Tim Russert of “Meet the Press”; Bob Simon of “60 Minutes”; Walter Pincus of the Washington Post; Walter Isaacson, then president of CNN; editor at large of The New Republic and author Peter Beinart; talk show host Phil Donahue; and James Wolcott, Jonathan Landay and Warren Strobel of Knight Ridder, which was acquired by the McClatchy Company in 2006. Virtually alone, Knight Ridder asked for the hard evidence to back up the president’s justification of the war.http://www.pbs.org/aboutpbs/news/20070112_BillMoyers.html

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/moyersonamerica/index.html

sifting
2007-04-15, 03:53 PM
This sounds like a great program. He always brings a a very informed and sophisticated perspective to bear on these kinds of issues. I look forward to seeing it.

2007-04-25, 01:31 PM
Reminder for tonight. I believe it's only on the SD channel - shame.

james99
2007-04-25, 01:39 PM
Bill Moyers was on Bill Maher last Friday. Interesting segment.

2007-04-26, 08:56 AM
I used to be a real fan of Bill Moyers - until he appeared on Bill Reilly's show the other night.

His denial of what he had previously said - even after Reilly showed clips of Moyers saying this - shows me that Moyers is merely the opposite side of the same misinformation stream as Reilly, Limbaugh etc.

rpr
2007-04-26, 11:58 AM
I recorded it OTA-HD from Buffalo, and it was his report on Enron (which is interesting as well, watched about half of it before the hockey game). Was it really only on the SD feed?

Tom

2007-04-26, 12:29 PM
The HD channel was carrying the Enron Report by "Independent Lens" - The smartest guys in the room, which is a different programme, has been shown many times already, but was also interesting.

That's why I said the Moyers Report was on the SD channel only.

http://www.wned.org/wnedhdsched/Schedule/default.aspx

I like to use the Detroit schedule (which is essentially the same) because they give you a week at a time option.

http://www.detroitpublictv.org/watch/schedule.shtml

docted
2007-04-26, 12:32 PM
I missed the show on PBS last night.
Any mention of a repeat showing?
Docted

bete_noir
2007-04-26, 12:57 PM
I saw it last night....I think it might be repeated tonight on some PBS stations, but not sure about that. Good program.....

Stan Dev
2007-04-26, 02:26 PM
I missed the show on PBS last night.
Any mention of a repeat showing?
Docted
It will be rebroadcast this weekend, on Friday and Saturday evenings.

The online guides at tvlistings.zap2it.com and couchville.com claim that it will also be shown on the PBS HD stations, but they claimed that for last night too and they were wrong.

Stan Dev
2007-04-26, 02:56 PM
Correction: it looks like some of the broadcasts of Bill Moyers' Journal this weekend will be a new episode (with guest Jon Stewart of The Daily Show). Last night's "Buying the War" episode will apparently be rebroadcast late Saturday/early Sunday, e.g.:

11 pm Pacific / 2 am Eastern on WGBH Boston
2 am Pacific / 5 am Eastern on KCTS Seattle

2007-04-26, 03:09 PM
docted, since you don't have your location or service provider in your UserCP profile (location), we can't really help you, since each affiliate will be different, as you can see from the posts above.

You'll have to check the affiliate site for your service provider or OTA.

rpr
2007-04-26, 03:13 PM
The HD channel was carrying the Enron Report by "Independent Lens" - The smartest guys in the room, which is a different programme, has been shown many times already, but was also interesting.

I haven't seen it, so it's all new to me... :)

That's why I said the Moyers Report was on the SD channel only.

Yes, but I didn't see that until after it recorded. I have it set to record the SD version this weekend, thanks for the update.

Tom

docted
2007-04-26, 04:21 PM
Thanks 57, I've updated my profile. I live in Guelph, Ont. and am served by Rogers. I have a Toshiba HD Tv and a 3250 Hd STB.

2007-04-26, 05:16 PM
The next Detroit listing is for Sunday May 6, 1:30PM, but I'm not sure if that's the same programme rebroadcast, or a different programme...

I'd say set your DVR just in case, but I see you have an SA3250HD.

2007-04-27, 03:42 PM
There were some very interesting comments in this programme from well known, senior journalists. For example

Dan Rather (and others) basically stated that the major media conglomerates are now so "intertwined" with the government that reporters/journalists are not allowed to write major articles that run counter to the "current spin". If you do, then senior management will advise you to stop, they will relegate your articles to the "inside/back" pages and/or your job will be in jeopardy.

So, the only way to get information that one used to call journalism is to seek your news from the "independents" (if there are any left) or from outside the country, since those journalists may not be pressured by the same government or media conglomerate management.

This is one of the reasons we in Canada could see the "truth" much earlier than the people in the US who relied on the major papers or major TV news networks - as they were (and still are) basically the lapdogs of the government/corporations (advertizers).

What used to be called journalism is dead in many of these media conglomerates - they simply promote whatever spin is being projected by the government (or corporation providing the funding), without even checking into sources or the details.

james99
2007-04-27, 03:57 PM
For those who watch O'reilly last night you will know that footage featuring him were badly taken out if context thanx to the editing.

stampeder
2007-04-28, 04:51 AM
Which is terribly unfair because we all know that Bill O'Reilly would never take anyone else out of context, would he? :D

I still haven't watched my recording of this program but I'm looking forward to it.