: When Buffalo stations begin OTA HDTV ...

Wayne
2002-04-24, 12:04 PM
If and when the Buffalo TV stations begin broadcast OTA HDTV signals will we be able to receive these in Toronto? I guess it depends what the range of the digital signals is, but does anyone know about that?

I guess the closer you are to Buffalo the better - I live about 200 yds north of the lake so that should help, but I have no idea how far that is as the crow flies and how, if at all, the signal is affected by travelling over water.

tv_guy
2002-04-24, 03:34 PM
There is a good chance you'll be able to get them in Toronto but no guarantees.

JohnnyG
2002-04-24, 03:35 PM
RF is usually adversely affected by water, unfortunately. I believe it causes dopler shifts in the signal, but I'm no engineer.

Nobody will really have the answer to your question until one of the stations in Buffalo comes on line!

james99
2002-04-24, 05:35 PM
If and when the Buffalo TV stations begin broadcast OTA HDTV signals will we be able to receive these in Toronto? I guess it depends what the range of the digital signals is, but does anyone know about that?

I guess the closer you are to Buffalo the better - I live about 200 yds north of the lake so that should help, but I have no idea how far that is as the crow flies and how, if at all, the signal is affected by travelling over water.

Good article in yesterday's USA Today about HD signals. A whole 15% of required channels are using HD, far below the required amount.

Detroit was the best city for HD channels.

Wayne
2002-04-24, 05:39 PM
I guess our friends in Windsor are happy! Rogers rebroadcasts the Detroit HDTV channels.

Filthy
2002-04-25, 12:56 PM
I guess our friends in Windsor are happy! Rogers rebroadcasts the Detroit HDTV channels.

Some of them. What about WKBD-DT (UPN) and WDWB-DT (WB)?

JohnnyG
2002-04-25, 01:24 PM

Some of them. What about WKBD-DT (UPN) and WDWB-DT (WB)?

What HD are they showing? WB is supposed to have an HD lineup this Fall, so I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers picked it up to replace that waste-of-bandwidth Viewer's Choice 2 channel (or CDTV for that matter!).