: MovieCentral.ca down?

Gord Lacey
2007-04-06, 05:57 PM
I haven't been able to access the moviecentral.ca website for the past few days; can anyone else get there?

Gord

JesseJ
2007-04-06, 06:03 PM
Nope, same problem.
Hopefully they fix it because it's been a mess (see POS) since December. They've had nothing correct, nothing updated, nothing at all really.

ihdtv
2007-04-06, 06:32 PM
I've seen the same thing last couple of days. I agree with JesseJ about the poor quality of the website. They really need to fix it up. I hope that's what they're doing.

ihdtv

Gord Lacey
2007-04-06, 08:27 PM
I have a regular person there that I talk/bitch to and she told me that they were going to fix their website "very soon" - the next day the site was down. I had to laugh, wondering whether "fixing" the site was just getting rid of it.

The problem is that they had someone who worked on the site, but he was let go when the channel moved. Apparently he was the only person who knew how to get the data out of the website and parse it into something usable for the website. I don't understand how this can be so difficult that it's taking them months to figure out how to parse something from a database. I've parsed data sent to me 3 times in the past week, and some of it wasn't optimal. I'm about ready to donate my services to them so I can view stuff on their pathetic website.

Gord

North_of_Calgary
2007-04-07, 12:15 PM
Movie Central has become a joke in the last 6 months. From the POS website to the looping problems, etc. Hardly a "premium" service. I'm a little surprised that the providers who are selling it (BEV, *C, Shaw, etc) aren't complaining to them.

Gord, if you really have a contact on the inside please express how disappointed the customers are with the Movie Central service. I tried emailing them in November and big surprise, I received no reply.

Gord Lacey
2007-04-07, 12:53 PM
Don't worry, I have. I was bitching every week or so when the audio was out of sync, and after I wrote the CRTC I got an email from a Chorus VP in charge of the channel. He explained some of the problems to me (mostly it was hardware-related, but a few movies were encoded improperly), and he even emailed me when he thought it was fixed (it was).

If MC fixed their horrible website, and got OAR movies from Alliance Atlantis, then I'd be a happy customer. I'm okay with their selection of movies; there always seems to be something I want to record, and it's nice getting the HBO shows. I'm glad Shaw is finally getting MCHD2.

Gord

wdreamsmaycome
2007-04-07, 01:26 PM
Gord, if you have a contact inside, could you try and find out if it's normal that EA1 and EA2 broadcast 'cable censored' versions of their movies (as opposed to MC1-MC4)? I always thought that since they are all MC channels they would all broadcast director's cut fare, but after the big fiasco of last night with the Big Lebowski I'm not sure anymore... I was going to email them but the site is down, and I also kind of doubt they'd reply anyways.

Gord Lacey
2007-04-07, 04:48 PM
Yeah, it's worth mentioning it to them when the site goes back up. Often times people just complain about something, but fail to notify the company. I saw that MCHD was running a 1.33:1 version of "The Longest Yard" stretched to 1.78:1. I sent an email and a few days later they responded and said that they have a proper HD version from the distributor and it would air next time the movie was scheduled. Sure enough, the next airing was 2.35:1.

Gord

North_of_Calgary
2007-04-07, 09:42 PM
If MC fixed their horrible website, and got OAR movies from Alliance Atlantis, then I'd be a happy customer. I'm okay with their selection of movies; there always seems to be something I want to record, and it's nice getting the HBO shows. I'm glad Shaw is finally getting MCHD2.

Gord
Thanks Gord. And I agree with you. I've in the past always been a happy customer (going back to prior to the First Choice and Superchannel merger!).

The lack of a website is one thing, but the audio looping problems is the most frustrating. There were a number of times in recent months when I actually chose to watch a movie on one of the SD channels since the HD version was so terribly out of sync. And now I'm watching some old episodes of Dexter from about a month or so ago and the looping is so bad that it's hard to watch.

I hope they can get their act together soon.

lars
2007-04-08, 08:24 PM
I hope they can get their act together soon.
I would prefer to see Movie Central disappear. Then the CRTC could make The Movie Network a national service.

smegger2000
2007-04-09, 05:53 PM
It's back up now, but nothing is updated still. No printable HD schedule for April....what is so hard about getting that up at least.

Gord Lacey
2007-04-09, 06:07 PM
blah, I was just coming to post the same thing. So frustrating. I can't believe the site was down for 4 days! I have a **** if my site is down for 5 minutes.

Gord