: NBC renews `30 Rock' despite low ratings

james99
2007-04-04, 07:37 PM
LOS ANGELES - First-year sitcom "30 Rock," which earns rave reviews but low ratings, will get a second chance to prove it can win over viewers.

The comedy created by and starring Tina Fey of "Saturday Night Live" fame has been renewed for the 2007-08 season, NBC announced Wednesday. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070404/ap_en_ot/tv30_rock_renewed;_ylt=Ahjvf4ZkvE2AADE333AU8rxxFb8C)

JesseJ
2007-04-04, 07:42 PM
HRMMmmmmm.....sounds like Arrested Developlemt doesn't it?

Breadbin
2007-04-04, 09:13 PM
I thought 30 Rock had a slow start but I'm glad I stuck with it (and that NBC are too) as it really picked up after about 3 episodes.

The Thursday night CSI slot sounds like a tough gig for a show that really needs a few more people to give it a try.

wprager
2007-04-04, 09:20 PM
You know, all they have to do is run two soundtracks -- one with an idiot-proof laugh track, and another one for those of us who prefer it au naturel. That would be a great use for the SAP function. I just read that M*A*S*H (Gelbart didn't want a laugh track but CBS insisted) on DVD gives you the option of laugh track or not.

It's uncanny -- if a comedy show has no laugh track, I'm almost destined to love it. I guess I should go and try out The Bernie Mac Show, now.

Breadbin
2007-04-05, 11:30 AM
I'd have to agree. I've found plenty of shows enjoyable despite the laugh track but in general if they feel the need to tell you when to laugh then it's probably not that funny or well written.

I don't know about most people but I find I just tune the laugh track out most of the time anyway. You have to or it'd drive you nuts.