: Wal-Mart Rolls Out HD Digital Radio in 1,989 U.S. Stores

hugh
2007-03-05, 11:48 AM
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., and the HD Digital Radio Alliance announced that HD digital radio receivers are launching today in 1,989 Wal-Mart stores in 85 markets across the U.S.

Wal-Mart stores will initially stock the JVC HD-W10 Mobile HD Radio receiver, and the units will retail for less than $190. Wal-Mart has created a variety of programs and educational tools around HD Radio, leveraging the company's multiple points of interaction with consumers.

The move by Wal-Mart will be supported by new radio spots that represent the next phase of the Alliance's $250 million marketing campaign announced in December. The spots will include a mix of :15s and :30s in all 85 markets.

Over 1,100 U.S. radio stations currently broadcast in HD, with over 600 offering HD2 multicasts.

hugh
2007-03-05, 11:49 AM
That's a lot of radio's!

jvillain
2007-03-05, 09:31 PM
<sigh> And again Canada is adrift.

Arthur Dent
2007-03-06, 01:07 PM
Considering the horror stories I keep reading about the poor quality of the HD radio stations (multicasting at low bitrate), we are actually lucky we will continue to enjoy the good old FM for longer.

99jaystang
2007-03-08, 09:14 PM
Well at least I can drive to Indianapolis from Toronto and keep it on the same channel on my Sirius receiver. HD radio, sorry not in my future, except for HD T.V.

BCScott
2007-03-10, 12:41 PM
HD radio is still "commercial" radio rather than subscription isn't it? The big appeal of Satellite radio for me is I don't have to listen to that inane blather and the annoying commercials. I swear there are 5 minute commercial breaks on the 2 fm channels we get from Calgary. After 10 or 15 minutes, I just turn it off if there's nothing on CBC. Sound quality doesn't matter if you can't stand to listen to the yakking. Sirius has been a godsend around my place as with the fm out mod, I can get reception throughout the house around the immediate yard and in most of the cabins. Worth the price of admission for me.

mcpish
2007-03-11, 04:07 AM
For us Canadians the big complication is that DAB (the European digital radio standard) has already been chosen for Canada. Although based on that recent report, it sounds like the CRTC might be wanting to go the HD-Radio route. I certainly hope not. HD-Radio is a terrible compromise. With the recent revision of DAB to the DAB+ standard with AAC encoding, DAB and its ensemble format is clearly the better choice.

Canada made the right choice by rejecting IBOC and going DAB in the first place. This is something we should have done 50+ years ago by choosing the PAL standard for TV instead of NTSC like most other commonwealth countries. I find it ironic that the CRTC bitterly complains about the so-called grey-market for American radio and television services when it is stupid enough to choose the same broadcast standards as the Americans. If they had chosen PAL for TV and stick with DAB+ for Digital Radio that problem could have been seriously reduced.

Jayme
2007-03-11, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know will hd radios work in ottawa.

classicsat
2007-03-12, 04:21 PM
Likely, in their backwards compatability to analog mode.

I doubt you'd be able to receive any digital broadcasts with one though,at least anytime soon.