2007-02-23, 06:46 AM
I just purchased a my first Imac. Its the one with the intel chips. I love it. I find it to be more efficient than any windows PC I have ever had except for two issues I have that I can't seem to remedy. These problems are ruining my whole "Mac experience". I am connected to my home network wirelessly through a cable modem connected to a linskys wireless g router with speedbooster. When I run Safari it runs faster perfect about 40% of the time. The other 60% it hiccups and takes for ever to bring up web pages, (Longer wait times than a dial-up connection). When this happens, I check explorer on my PC and laptop that are connected wirelessly to the same network and they run perfectly, so the problem can not be with the router or the connection, it must be with the mac (possibly the airport????). I have checked the connection settings on the mac and everything seems fine. Not sure what the problem is.
Second of all when I log in to hotmail using Safari, it always says my password is incorrect and makes me type it a second time and then accepts it. It does this each and every time I log in with my mac but never on my PC or laptop. Weird....
Anyone have any solutions? Thanks
2007-02-23, 07:40 AM
Have you checked the firmware on the linksys router? I had a problem with my iMac and the linksys router I was using and had to manually give the iMac an IP address to resolve the issue. There are tons of posts on the linksys support forums about this problem with specific routers. Maybe as a test give your iMac a static IP and see if that helps.
I know that using msn messenger on my iMac I have to log in 2 times at least to sign onto messenger. There are also tons of posts about this problem on msn mac messenger support forums. It is basically hit or miss with this problem. You could download firefox and see if the same problem exists with it?
Just a few suggestions.
2007-02-23, 03:17 PM
There was an update to Messenger for Mac to address the signing in issue. Did you try that one yet?
As for the problem with Safari and the connection, have you tried Firefox? I do find it more responsive than Safari.
2007-02-24, 08:15 AM
I'll try that.
2007-02-25, 08:11 PM
You could always go out and buy the new wireless extreme Apple router...crazy fast and amazing range from what I've seen.
2007-02-26, 04:31 PM
Try this first
Slow web lately? try this - paste into the DNS Servers window in your Network Setup
2007-02-26, 05:59 PM
Another thing to try: download Firefox and then go to the exact same pages and see if there is a speed difference or if the problem affects both browsers.
2007-02-27, 09:59 AM
An interesting article regarding Safari entitled : Using Safari can slow your system down as much as 76% vs Firefox:
2007-02-28, 02:26 PM
That is an interesting article but if you read it you'll find that it wasn't his browsing experience that suffered the slow down....he says that firefox and safari were quite close in that regard. His point to the experiment was to show that when you are browsing with safari much more of your systems resources are occupied than when browsing with firefox.
Not quite the same thing.
2007-03-01, 07:42 AM
Totally agree kixsand...I realize that but I thought it was interesting....I am personally using Firefox but for many other reasons that speed...
2007-03-01, 11:06 AM
Its a main item up on slashdot today, so certainly its getting attention.
Apparently the Safari development team has been working hard on it.