2007-02-22, 02:15 PM
I have been waiting to buy an IMAC and decided to hold off until the release of the new 10.5 Leopard. While Mac only says on its web site that the release will be "in the spring", there are rumours floating around that it will be anytime from March 24 to June 15.
Does anyone have a handle on when it would be?
Am I wasting my time waiting, when I should go ahead and buy now and then pay the $150 (?) upgrade when it comes out?
2007-02-22, 02:21 PM
From what I read in various Mac sites. it seems that it should be out by march 31st but Apple never confirmed it.... I, too, am awaiting the release of Leopard before I switch my iMac G5 20 inch to an iMac Intel 24 inches...
2007-02-22, 03:32 PM
Keep in mind that if and when Apple releases Leopard, it will take awhile for current stock machines to come preloaded. It's not instant and if anything, you'll likely get a form to fill in and get Leopard mailed to you. Apple usually gives grace periods so if you buy the iMac within a month of Leopard's release, you'll get a free upgrade (usually with a $20 shipping/handling fee).
At least this has been my experience.
Since the iMac most likely won't be updated at the same time as Leopard is released, you might as well get it now (or wait until March 1st) and enjoy it.
2007-02-22, 04:14 PM
The word on the street is end of March. I just got a 24" iMac last week -- I seem to remember Apple offering free upgrades to customers that purchased new systems within a certain window precedeing the release...I'm kinda hoping they do that again.
Either way it isn't a huge deal...maybe I would wait a little while before making the upgrade...give them some time to work out the kinks.
BTW...the 24" iMac absolutley rocks...crazy fast...brilliantly bright screen. Although I was coming out of a G4 not a G5 so the difference may not be as earth shattering to you.
2007-02-23, 06:05 AM
I went on the Aplle site and saves a future order for an iMac 24 inch, a few weeks ago. I just received an e-mail from Apple offering me a discount of $80 if I ordered it right away....I answered the e-mail that I would buy it right away if they garantee that they would send me free of charge Leopard when it does come out. The answer was that they couldnt do it since they have no release date as of yet....So, I'm waiting...
P.S.: I think the speed will improve substantially over my G5 anyway, especially with the Core Duo...
2007-02-23, 06:26 PM
All the main Mac rumors site seem in agreement that the end of March should be the date.
As they were mentioning this date, a few sites even pointed out that Leopard was progressing faster than even Apple developers were hoping for.